Keeping Your Legal Status


    You are responsible for knowing and following all immigration regulations. Failure to comply with these regulations can have serious consequences for your ability to study, seek employment, or remain in the United States. 

    Make sure your immigration documents are valid and unexpired 

    Your passport must be at least six months valid into the future

    Your   I-94 card must be marked “F-1 D/S”

    Your I-20 must be valid and issued by the school you are attending

    If your F-1 visa has expired during your stay in the US [your valid I-20 keeps you legal], you will have to obtain a new visa to re-enter the US after travelling

    Apply for an extension of your I-20 BEFORE your document expires if you need more time to complete your program


    Register for and complete a full course load every semester 

    Undergraduate students must complete at least 12 credits every semester;  graduate students must complete 9 credits  

    Students must make normal, full-time progress toward degree completion


    Do not accept any employment without authorization from the Office of International Students 

    Full-time students may accept on-campus employment of no more than 20 hours per week during the school year, or full time during vacation periods

    Off-campus employment requires the authorization of the Office of International Students and/or USCIS


    Report any change of address to the Office of International Students and change your address in NJCU’s GothicNet within 10 days of your move 

    F-1 students are required to report their U.S. address to the Office of International Students within 10 days. Changing your address at NJCU’s GothicNet DOES NOT satisfy this requirement.


    Contact The Office of International Students IMMEDIATELY if there are any changes in your personal or academic situation or items that need to be updated on your I-20, such as: 

    • Change of name
    • Change of school, major or degree level
    • Withdrawal or termination due to academic or medical reasons
    • Departure or Withdrawal for a personal leave of absence
    • Transfer to another institution in the U.S.