Click here to return to the Jersey City: Past and Present Home Page Click here to return to the list of website time periods. Click here to return to the alphabetized list of website entries.


1664 Peter Stuyvesant surrendered New Netherlands to the English. Charles II and the Duke of York conveyed all the land between the Delaware and the Hudson Rivers to John, Lord Berkeley and Sir George Carteret as the proprietors of the colony of New Jersey.
  Sip Manor House built by Nicholas Varleth at Newkirk Street and Bergen Avenue.
1668 Governor Philip Carteret of New Jersey approved a new charter for the Town of Bergen.
1669 Site of Newkirk family homestead granted by Governor Philip Carteret.
1680 Congregation of Dutch Reformed Church erected Octagonal Church at southeast corner of Bergen Avenue and Vroom Street. It replaced original church.
1682 Begen Township was the government seat of Bergen County (to 1690s).
1690 Construction of Summit House by Matthias Newkirk.
  Cornelius Van Vorst purchased Paulus Hook property from Abraham Isaacsen Planck. This included almost half of present-day Jersey City.
  Elsworth Tavern, owned by Verdine Elsworth, opened overlooking the Hudson River at present site of Grand and Hudson Street.
1740 John Van Vorst home constructed on Palisade Avenue.
1760? First part of Van Wagenen home (Apple Tree House) constructed.
1760 Jacob Prior constructed a tidewater mill at Mill Creek.
  Retirement Hall built by Captain Thomas Brown, a merchant and slave trader.
1762

Eagle (Tise) Tavern) (later Eagle (Tise) Tavern) constructed on Bergen Avenue near Glenwood Avenue.

1764 Ferry service established between Paulus Hook and New York City.
1773

Second Bergen Church built at southwest corner of Bergen Avenue and Vroom Street.

By: Carmela Karnoutsos
Project Administrator: Patrick Shalhoub