Click here to return to the Jersey City: Past and Present Home Page Click here to return to the list of website time periods. Click here to return to the alphabetized list of website entries.

Charter Reform

 

   
 

Jersey City became a municipal government in 1820 but continued as a part of the Township of Bergen. With the growth of the community, due to expanded ferry service between Jersey City and New York, the city took the next step towards independent governance. The new charter of incorporation for Jersey City was approved by the New Jersey legislature on February 22, 1838. An election for adoption of the charter was held at a school house on Sussex Street on March 20, 1838. With 186 votes cast, the charter was approved by a vote of 177 for and 9 against the charter.

 

By: Carmela Karnoutsos
Project Administrator: Patrick Shalhoub