Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

What are your office hours?

Fall & Spring Semester

We are open Monday and Thursday between 8:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. and on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Summer Hours:

June 6, 2016 through August 12, 2016

We are open Monday and Thursday 8:00a.m. - 5:15p.m.

How do I register for classes?

New students will be notified to make an appointment with an advisor. Continuing students must meet with their advisor to have the advisement block removed. Once block is removed, student is eligible to self enroll. The list of offered courses is available online at Registrar's Website, and Finally, you can log on to to self enroll.

How do I place classes in Shopping Cart?

For instructions on how to place classes in Shopping Cart, log onto GothicNet, select the my menu tab, click on Students' link, go to the How Do I ? folder and click on place courses in Shopping Cart.

How do I get on Wait List?

If the class is full and it has Wait List option, (Yellow Triangle Icon) will appear on the screen. If you would like to be placed on the Wait List (check box) "Wait List if class is full". You will be notified thru your NJCU e-mail. If you have been placed on the Wait List, you have not been officially enrolled in the class. If a seat becomes available, you will be enrolled in the class and notified via your NJCU e-mail. It is the student responsibility to check their NJCU e-mail frequently regarding the Wait List request. Clink of the link for tutorial

What is the maximum credit allowed for Wait List?

  • 6 credits - Fall and Spring Semesters
  • 3 credits - Winter and Summer Sessions

How do I ADD/DROP classes?

Students can ADD/DROP classes online on GothicNet, with their advisor, (click on the link for the online tutorial ), or by submitting an ADD/DROP form to the Registrar’s Office, Hepburn 214. The deadline to ADD/DROP for the regular semesters (Fall/Spring) is the first week of classes. Please refer to the Academic Calendar for dates.

How do I get a copy of my class schedule?

A copy of your schedule should be printed each time you register or make changes to your registration. Log onto GothicNet. Click on Student Center, Under Academics select the drop down arrow "other academics" select “My Class Schedule”, click on the double arrows, click on show enrolled classes, click on filter and print schedule.

What should I do if my registration is blocked?

You should find out what office has applied the block by clicking this icon [Negative Service Indicators] . If you have any question please report to the appropriate office (i.e. Health & Wellness Center, Bursar and University Advisement Center).

How many credits can I take?

If you were accepted as a full time student, you may enroll for 12 – 18 credits per semester. If you were accepted as part time student, you may take a maximum of 11.5 credits per semester. NOTE: Students requesting to take more than 18 credits must have the approval of the Office of the Academic Dean in which the student has been accepted.

What happens if I drop below 12 credits?

Students who register for or drop to fewer than 12 credits are reduced to part-time status and run the risk of losing financial aid if they have been awarded a financial aid package. Students considering this are advised to meet with their advisor to discuss the consequences.

How do I withdraw from all my courses?

Students who find it necessary to withdrawal from the University must schedule an appointment with a counselor in the Counseling Center (201-200-3165). Each student who withdraws from the University must also officially withdraw from his/her courses at the Registrar’s Office, H-214.

If I leave NJCU, can I return?

Yes. Students who do not enroll in classes for more than 3 consecutive semesters need to reapply to the university and submit an official transcript, upon application, if courses were taken at another institution. Students who were academically suspended may be considered for readmission only after two complete semesters from the date of suspension.

Can I take summer courses?

NJCU offers two summer sessions that can be previewed in the course list which is available online in mid March. Course listing can be obtained at  and

What courses can I take PASS/FAIL?

Students have the option of requesting a final grade of Pass or Fail instead of a letter grade in an elective, and/or non-major course, in a general studies course (but not an AUR or Core course), or academic minor. An elective is interpreted to mean any course outside the major and not specifically required in the student’s program. At the discretion of any department, certain courses within the major field can be designated “Pass/Fail”.

Please refer to the academic calendar for dates.

When are the PASS/FAIL forms available?

The Pass/Fail option may be exercised following the Add-Drop period.

  • Deadlines: FALL - November 1
  • SPRING - April 1
  • For Summer deadlines: Please refer to the Academic Calendar

How do I withdraw from a course?

Student must submit a withdrawal request form to the Registrar's Office, H-214. The course will receive a "W" grade. After Add/Drop and the first third of the semester, students are eligible to receive a 50% refund for each credit below 12 undergraduate credits. After the first third of the semester to November 1 (Fall) and April 1 (Spring) or mid semester for Summer Sessions, the course will receive a “W” grade and student is not entitled to any refund.

Please refer to the academic calendar for dates.

Does a Withdrawal affect the GPA?

No, it does not count toward the GPA. It will appear on the transcript as a “W” grade.

What should I do if I know I am going to miss several classes?

Absences from class due to illness or personal reasons should be handled by the student and the faculty member on an individual basis. Students who expect to be absent for a prolonged period of time should contact the Dean of Student, who will notify the faculty of the students situation.

How many credits are allowed for Grade Recomputation?

Maximum of 16 credits

Note: Effective Fall 2014, an automatic grade recomputation process will no longer require the student to file a form with the Registrar’s office to enact the recomputation of the GPA.

Students wishing to recomp course(s) taken prior to Fall 2014 must submit a Recomputation form to the Registrar's Office.

Grade recomputation is only available for undergraduate courses.

What are the requirements for the Academic Fresh Start?

The Academic Fresh Start facilitate the return to NJCU of students who left because of academic difficulty. The policy addresses students who want to return to NJCU after one year or more and have demonstrated the potential for success by having completed 12 credits or more with a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or better at another institution, or have received an Associate's Degree from a community college.

  1. Academic Fresh Start may be granted one time and only for courses taken at NJCU;
  2. An undergraduate student must be separated from the college for a minimum of 12 months;
  3. Current Students who were readmitted after a 12-month separation from NJCU are eligible for Academic Fresh Start policy;
  4. Application for Academic Fresh Start must be submitted to the Dean of Arts and Sciences unless there is a declared major in one of the other colleges. This application will be submitted by July 1 for the next fall semester readmits, or by November 1 for the next spring semesters readmits;
  5. Upon return to NJCU, a readmitted student will be placed on academic probation until the completion of 15 credits with no grade below C. The student can withdraw from a course only with permission of the new program advisor and the Dean.
  6. Appeals may be made to the appropriate Dean (as stated in Policy #4) and then to the Provost.
  7. Courses omitted from the recalculation will remain on the transcript and will be identified by (**) and will not be counted towards graduation requirements. Up to 30 credits may be omitted prior to recalculation, subject to departmental policies. Only courses with a grade lower than C will be eligible for omission;
  8. W records will remain on the transcript;
  9. An academic probation contract with the new program advisor is required prior to registration;
  10. Financial aid policies are independent of the Academic Fresh Start Policy.

Does the previous grade appear on transcript?

All grades will remain in the official transcript but the lowest grade received in the course will be excluded from the GPA. At the end of each semester, The Registrar's Office will process grade recomputation for eligible students. Grade recomputation is only available for undergraduate courses.

When do I file for Graduation Clearance?

Undergraduate Students

See NJCU Master Course List under “Graduation and Certification Deadline Dates and Forms for Undergraduates”

Graduate Students

See NJCU Master Course List under "Graduation Clearance"


  • For students completing coursework in Summer, deadline is between mid May and mid June.
  • For students completing coursework in Fall, deadline is between the beginning of August and end of September.
  • For Students completing coursework in Spring, deadline is between the beginning of November and mid December.

What is the process for applying for Graduation Clearance?

Undergraduate and Graduate Students

  • Step 1 – Students eligible for graduation must complete the online "Intent To Graduate" form. To apply online, log on to your GothicNet account, and selection option to Apply for Graduation.
    Please Note: Seniors with an Education major/co-major or certification cannot apply online. Report to the Registrar's Office, Hepburn 214 to obtain the forms.
  • Step 2 – After application deadline date, the Registrar’s office will create a graduation file for each graduation applicant. An audit of general studies and major requirement will be completed. The student’s academic department will be sent a “Department Checkout" form for each student. Once the forms are completed and return to the Registrar’s office, students will be sent a letter/email regarding their graduation status.
  • Step 3 – At the end of the graduating semester, once the grades are posted, the files will be finalized. Finalization includes the posting of degrees on an academic transcript.

Diplomas will be available after the degrees are posted to transcript.

Dates are as follows:

  • May Graduates - July
  • August Graduate - October
  • January Graduates - March

How do I prepare for Graduation?

Undergraduate Students

Meet with department advisor (s) 1 year prior to graduation. Attend an Undergraduate Graduation Clearance Workshop. See NCJU Registrar’s Office website for list of workshops and dates (scroll down on the page to see the workshop dates).

Graduate Students

Meet with department advisor (s) 1 year prior to graduation to review degree requirements.

Click on the Graduate Clearance link for workshops and dates (scroll down on the page to see the workshop dates).

How do I request a transcript?

Students have three options to request transcripts:

  1. Internet: Transcript Request Online
  2. In Person: Registrar’s Office, Hepburn 214, on a transcript request form
  3. Mail: Sending a signed letter to the Registrar’s Office c/o Transcripts New Jersey City University, 2039 Kennedy Blvd, Jersey City, NJ 07305.
    Note: Include full name when you attended the University, and student ID (if you don't have and ID provide the last four digits of your social security number).

Is there a fee to request a transcript?

No, there is no fee for regular service. There is a $10 fee for 1 hour service. The same day service is provided until 4:00 p.m.

When requesting transcripts are both Graduate and Undergraduate included in the same request?

Yes, your full career is included in one request. Students may request separate Undergraduate and Graduate transcripts but no portion of the undergraduate or graduate record may be deleted.

What is the turn around time for a transcript request?

Transcripts are processed with in four business days after the request is received by the Registrar’s Office.

How can I get an enrollment verification letter?

Report to the Registrar’s Office located in Hepburn 214.

What documentations do I need to change my name and how long does it take?

You need to submit legal documentation to the Registrar’s Office, Hepburn 214. Documentation can be a marriage license, divorce decree, birth certificate or a court order for a name change. Once proper documentation is received, request is processed within five working days.

How do I register as a Visiting Student?

To register as a Visiting Student for the regular semesters (Fall/Spring), you will need a letter from the college you’re attending giving you permission to take the course/s at NJCU. The information is submitted to the Registrar’s Office, Hepburn 214.

To register as a Visiting Student during the Summer Session, the Student presents one of the following to the Registrar’s Office, H-214:

  • A permission letter from the University the student is attending, stating the course titles and authorized by proper authority, or
  • Copy of a University transcript, or
  • A Photostat of the Student’s high school diploma, or successful completion of the GED test, or
  • A signed letter from the high school stating you are a senior and the expected date of graduation.

As a visiting student, how do I get grades earned at NJCU?

Grades are available online at GothicNet.

You will need your Id and password. A request for an official transcript to be sent to the University of your choice must be submitted to the Registrar's Office. Please click on "How do I request a Transcript" for instructions.

Should I print a copy of my schedule the day before I attend my first class?

Yes, the university sometimes changes rooms or cancel courses. This will give you the most current scheduling information.

Please log on to GothicNet to obtain your schedule. Print instructions.

When will Grades/Degree be posted on the official transcripts?

“Grades/Degree Posting”
Spring 2016 - grades will be posted on the Official Transcript 5/27/2016
Spring 2016 -  degree dated 5/11/2016 will be posted on the Official Transcript by 6/20/2016
Request for transcript with Spring 2016 grades and/or degree should be requested on or after above dates.

Getting Connected