Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions


NJCU New Pathways to Teaching in New Jersey Main Office
Tel: 201-200-2128
Fax: 201-200-3252



What steps are involved with the New Pathways to Teaching in New Jersey (NPTNJ)?

These are the steps involved with this program:

  • Step 1: Apply for a Certificate of Eligibility from the NJ Department of Education.
  • Step 2: Complete the 50-Hour Pre-Service class
  • Step 3: Secure a job prior to semester one.
  • Step 4: Complete the New Pathways program and teach for two years.

How do I know if I am a good candidate for this program?

A candidate for this program must be someone who:

  • is committed to education and to making a difference in the lives of children.  
  • is  ready to commit to the intensity of this fast-track program and interested in the intellectual stimulation of a graduate-level program.
  • Is ready to begin teaching immediately, with only 50 hours of preparation. The remaining coursework is done while actually teaching. Those with  some teaching experience are ideal candidates.

Do I need to have a Bachelor’s Degree to enroll in this program?

  • Yes

May I enroll in this program if I have an Associate’s Degree?

  • No

If I already have a Master’s Degree may I enroll in this program?

  • Yes

What is the minimum grade point average for the program?

  • If you graduated with a Bachelor’s degree prior to September 1, 2016 your grade point average must be a 2.75.
  • If you graduated with a Bachelor’s degree after September 1, 2016 your grade point average must be a 3.0.

If the grade point average for my Bachelor’s degree is below the minimum required for this program, but I have a Master’s degree with a higher grade point average may I use that instead?

  • Yes, transcripts other than the those for a Bachelor’s degree are accepted to meet the GPA requirement. Therefore, Masters and Doctorate transcripts are both accepted as long as they meet or pass the required GPA of the specific graduation time frame referenced in the previous answer.

What if I have a degree from outside the United States?

  • You will need to have your transcript evaluated by a third party organization course-by-course evaluation, to include an overall GPA, indicating that the applicant's education is equivalent to a bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited U.S. institution, with a GPA of at least 3.0. 
  • Visit the NACES web site for more information and a current list of accredited agencies.

If I previously completed the Introduction to Teaching class under the initial Pathways program do I need to re-take the new 50-hour Pre-Service class?

  • If you completed the Introduction to Teaching class under the Pathways program prior to September 2017 you have until August 2022 to enroll in a special 24-hour Bridge class. You should contact the New Pathways Liaison at the college you attended and they will direct you to a Bridge course that will provide you with the additional hours and requirements of New Pathways. All other candidates must enroll in the 50-hour Pre-Service class.

What should I do while the state is reviewing my CE application?

  • While the state is reviewing your application, you should register for the 50-hour Pre-Service component. If you have met all the requirements for the Certificate of Eligibility (CE) , the NJDOE will issue your CE in  approximately  6 to 8 weeks. Once you have your CE, you can begin applying for a teaching position.

How do I apply to the program?

Prior to applying to New Pathways you will need to do the following:

  • Complete the Pre-Service Introduction to Teaching class
  • Submit your application to the New Jersey State Department of Education (NJDOE) for a Certificate of Eligibility (CE). Visit the NJ DOE web site for more information.
  • Mail an official college transcript to NJDOE.
  • Pass Subject Assessment test for the area you plan to teach and the  Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators exam. To check for possible exemption from  the Praxis Core and for more information in this PDF entitled Test Requirements for Certification in NJ.  For the latest test requirements please visit the NJ DOE web site or the Praxis test site.
  • For more specific information about the CE application requirements, you may visit the New Jersey State Department of Education web site.

How do I check on the status of my CE application?

  • Once your DOE online application has been processed you may check the status of your application by choosing “CHECK APPLICATION STATUS” on the DOE website.

How long is the CE valid? Does it expire?

  • The CE is not a license and does not have an expiration date.

May I look for a job if I don’t have my CE?

  • Yes, however you must inform your potential employer that your CE is in process. You cannot sign a contract without a CE.  If you have additional questions regarding the application process, contact NJDOE at (877) 900-6960 or check with your county office of education.

Do I need to submit a transcript with my application?

  • Yes. You will also need to submit a copy of your CE and a copy of your teaching contract to begin Semester 1 courses.

What is the difference between the non-credit certification only option and the graduate credit option?

  • There is no difference in the classroom experience; all coursework, including assignments and readings, are identical. The difference is that the credit option provides you with up to 24 graduate credits from New Jersey City University that you can use towards a Master’s degree. Therefore, while all students who complete the program receive the required  “Verification of Program Completion” form to submit to the NJDOE, only the students who completed  the courses or credit will see those courses on a transcript.

What are the advantages to taking the NPTNJ program for graduate credit?

  • This provides an excellent opportunity to accomplish a goal:becoming a licensed teacher and beginning a Master’s Degree program. The courses and requirements are the same for all NPTNJ students regardless of registration status.The graduate credit is a way to capitalize on the hard work completed throughout the program. The NJCU Masters Programs that accept NPTNJ credits provides additional information.
  • Candidates have five years from the time they start the program to convert non-credit tuition to graduate credit tuition.
  • Teachers with a graduate degree often earn more compared to those with a Bachelors.
  • Visit the NJCU Master’s program web site

How can I receive Tuition Assistance?

  • You may qualify for a TEACH grant that will cover all costs for the program. Talk to the Financial Aid department for more information.

Do I need to have a job prior to enrolling in the First Semester of New Pathways?

  • Yes.

Does my teaching job have to be in the same area as my CE?

  • Yes.

What are the criteria for a teaching position?

  • The position must be one in which you are eligible to be enrolled in the Provisional Teacher Program. Check with the hiring administrator in the district for which you are going to work to confirm that your  position is appropriate for the provisional teacher program. If so, you will be enrolled in the Provisional Teacher Program.

May I teach in a private or charter school in New Jersey?

  • Yes. However, the school must be approved by the NJDOE and willing to enroll you in the Provisional Teacher Program.

How can I find a job?

Here are just a few of the many resources available to help you find a teaching job:

How long is the program?

The NPTNJ program consists of 24 credits or 350 hours over the course of four semesters, or two years:

  • Semester one: (90 hours)
  • Semester two: (90 hours)
  • Semester three: (90 hours)
  • Semester four: community of practice   (80 hours)

What is the minimum course grade requirement?

  • You must earn a grade of B or better in all coursework. A grade of B- or lower is unacceptable and the course must be repeated.

How do I earn the Standard Certificate (SC)?

  • After you have successfully passed each of the four semesters of New Pathways and successfully taught for two years, the state will issue you a Standard Certificate. 

What do I need to do if I want to pursue a master’s degree after I complete NPTNJ?

  • You need to apply to a degree program at NPTNJ. The NJCU Masters Programs that accept NPTNJ credits provides additional information.

If I completed New Pathways as a non-credit student but wanted to convert non-credits to graduate credits is that possible?