Medical Withdrawals

Medical Withdrawals

Medical Withdrawals

April 1st is the final day to withdraw from a course for the Spring 2019 semester. However, undergraduate students who find it necessary to withdraw from the University for medical reasons after that deadline can request a medical withdrawal. To do this, you must arrange an appointment with the Director of Counseling & Wellness Services (Gilligan Student Union Building-308, 201-200-3165). In the event that the Director of Counseling & Wellness is unavailable to process a medical withdrawal, the request should be directed to the Dean of Students (Gilligan Student Union Building-127, 201-200-3525). 

At the time of the meeting with the director, the student should present: 1) a letter from the student requesting a medical withdrawal from the University for the semester; and 2) a letter from an appropriate healthcare professional on their professional letterhead/stationary or prescription pad. The healthcare professional should state the health condition of the student (details are not necessary) and should specifically state that the student should not continue school for the remainder of the semester.

The interview is used to review the situation of the student and to inform him/her of the process for returning to school. An in-person interview is not conducted in some instances because students are physically unable to come to campus. In such instances the information is faxed to the Counseling Center (or when appropriate, the Office of the Dean of Students).

After the interview a formal letter is sent to the Registrar (along with the original letters the student submitted) requesting that the student be withdrawn for the semester. Copies of the letters are maintained in the Counseling Center. The student is also sent a copy of the letter.

Please note that undergraduate medical withdrawals are not processed by the Counseling Center after the current semester ends.  The last day of the Spring 2019 semester is May 14, 2018.  After that date, students must direct their requests for retroactive undergraduate medical withdrawals to the appropriate Academic Affairs dean (College of Arts and Sciences, School of Business, College of Education, or College of Professional Studies).

Graduate student medical withdrawals are not processed by the Counseling Center. Graduate students should contact their respective academic/college dean who will investigate the request with the concerned faculty member.