All music majors are required to give recitals. All student recitalists must be registered for Applied Music study during the semester that they present their recital. Students performing junior and/or senior recitals must complete the recital approval form and follow the steps set forth below.
Music Education Majors
Timing: During their 7th semester of Applied. Length: At least 30-minutes of solo music required.
Timing: During their 5th or 6th semester and again during their 8th semester of Applied Music study. Length: Two full length, 90-minute recitals required.
Music (without specialization)
Timing: During their 8th semester of Applied Music study. Length: At least 30-minutes of solo music required.
Music Business Majors
Timing: Every semester of Applied Music study beyond the required 4 semesters. Length: At least 30-minutes of solo music required.
1. Approval for the recital must be obtained from the Applied Lesson area committee at jury time in the semester prior to the projected recital.
2. Upon gaining this approval, the area coordinator should inform the department chairperson of the Applied Lesson area committee’s approval and his/her desire to schedule the recital.
3. The area coordinator is required to arrange for at least two faculty members to attend the recital and act as a jury. Of these two members, one must be the applied teacher and the second faculty member should be the area coordinator. If the applied teacher and area coordinator are the same person, the area coordinator is responsible for finding another faculty member to evaluate the performance.
4. The student should and area coordinator should then consult with the chairperson in order to find an available time in Ingalls Recital Hall that is acceptable for the two faculty members and all performers. Seminars cannot to be used for student recitals.
5. The student is responsible for designing his/her recital program and writing program notes. These must meet with the approval of the area coordinator. Once approved by the area coordinator, this material should be submitted to the MDT office at least two weeks prior to the recital for printing and publicity purposes.