Veteran Process

Veteran Process

NJCU's Veteran Process

Veteran benefit recipients must follow the process described below to utilize their veteran education benefits. After acceptance, testing, advisement, and registration, you will be billed for your tuition and fees. From there, follow the instructions below.

Need help? For assistance, or if you have any questions, please contact the NJCU Veterans Coordinator at the University Advisement Center, Vodra Hall, Room 101.

If you are eligible to take part in the New Jersey National Guard Tuition Waiver Program and have received your tuition bill in the mail, make an appointment to see the Veterans Coordinator. You must bring a Commander’s Certification to your appointment, and you must have already filed for financial aid. A tuition waiver form will be completed at this time, and tuition will be waived by the Bursar’s Office. Please note that you are responsible for student fees at the time tuition is waived.

To utilize your GI Bill benefits, you must provide the VA Coordinator with a letter of eligibility. Upon receipt of this letter, the Bursar will be notified and tuition will be deferred for the amount of entitlement, pending receipt of the benefit. You will then be notified by the Bursar of any outstanding balances. Balances must be paid in full by the University's tuition deadline.

If you drop a course after being certified, you must notify the Veterans Coordinator. The overpayment reimbursement for the dropped course will be your responsibility.

If, for any reason, the University does not receive funds from the Veterans Administration, you will be responsible for any debts owed.

To activate benefits for additional GI Bill programs, including Chapters 30, 35, 1606, and 1607, students must schedule an appointment to see the Veterans Coordinator upon conclusion of the add/drop period. All students must bring a copy of their schedule, an academic planning sheet, and any records of additional transfer credit. New students should also bring either a DD214 or a Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) with them, and dependents should bring a file number of the veteran. You will complete the appropriate paperwork at this time and all materials will be forwarded to the VA Regional Office in Buffalo, N.Y. Continuing students should allow six to eight weeks for processing while new students should allow 10-12 weeks.

Since NJCU does not participate in the Advanced Payment Program, all outstanding debts must be paid in full at the Bursar’s Office before filing for educational claims.

Veterans should contact the NJCU Office of Military & Veterans Services and schedule an appointment as early as possible. Upon receipt of an authorization form (28-1905) from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, a letter will be forwarded to both the Bursar’s Office and campus bookstore indicating eligibility for the Vocational Rehabilitation program. Bookstore purchases are limited to books and course-related materials.

Students who were N.J. state residents during the Vietnam Era and are eligible for the Veterans Tuition Credit Program (VTCP) or the Vietnam Veterans Tuition Aid Program (VVTAP) should contact the office for further information. Deadline dates are Oct. 1 and March 1 of each academic year. To utilize the benefit, veterans must be registered for at least six credits.


  • GI Bill payment should be received within eight to 10 weeks of processing for continuing students and 10 to 12 weeks for new students. Students who do not receive payment should contact the office so payment can be traced. It is strongly recommended that you participate in direct deposit if your program allows it.

  • When scheduling classes, please know that the Veterans Administration will only pay for those courses applicable to the degree you plan to earn. If you have questions regarding your schedule, please contact the Veterans Coordinator.

  • The VA will not pay for a repeated course unless it is required for graduation and your grade was below a passing standard. (e.g. Some majors require a grade of C or higher in all core courses.) In this instance, the course may be reimbursed. Please inform the VA Coordinator if you are repeating a course.

  • Students should inform their academic advisor that they are a veteran or a dependent of a veteran. In addition, any student who is eligible to declare a major should do so at the time of advisement, and any student who wishes to change a major must notify the Veterans Coordinator so a change in student status form can be completed.

  • Students who are eligible for transfer credit (Basic Training, Military Education Courses, etc.) must submit their certificates and transcripts by the end of their first semester at NJCU.

  • If you withdraw from a course after you have been certified, it will be your responsibility to notify the Veterans Coordinator. Please bring a copy of the withdrawal form within 10 days of the final day of class you attended.

Inquiries about eligibility status should be forwarded to the Department of Veteran Affairs, Educational Assistance:
888.GIBill1 (888.442.4551)