Click here to return to the Jersey City: Past and Present Home Page Click here to return to the list of website time periods. Click here to return to the alphabetized list of website entries.

1870 Jersey City denied home rule; Hudson City, Bergen and Jersey City consolidated.
  P. Lorillard Tobacco Company moved to Jersey City from New York.
1871 New charter of incorporation for the City of Jersey City.
Pennsylvania Railroad began operations at Exchange Place and Harsimus Cove, making Jersey City its eastern terminus
1872 Jersey City High School founded (present-day Dickinson High School).
William Dickinson became Superintendent of Schools. High School is later named for him.
1873 Greenville merged with the municipality of Jersey City (August 11).
Alexander Hamilton (no relation to former Secretary of Treasury) fled to Mexico with the contents of the city treasury.
1874 Hudson Dispatch began publication.
1876 New Jersey legislature restored home rule to Jersey City with a new charter.
  Erminnie Smith started the Aesthetic Society.
1877 St. Patrick's R.C. Church at corner of Bramhall Avenue and Grand Street began to serve the Irish immigrant community.
1878 St. Peter's Preparatory School and St. Peter's College founded.
1879 E.F.C. Young elected president of the First National Bank of Jersey City.
1880s Central Railroad of New Jersey began development of railroad operation at Communipaw Cove.
1880 Peter Woodland, a Hudson River Terminal worker, buried at Bayview-New York Bay Cemetery.
1881 Armbruster's Greenville Schuetzen Park opened as an amusement park.
1884 Flemish-Renaissance style Heppenheimer Mansion built on Jersey Avenue.
The Academy of Music became Jersey City's first theater.
1886 Erie Railroad began construction of a terminal in Pavonia.
  St. Joseph's Home founded at York Street.
1887 Academy of Music opened by Frank Henderson.
  Odd Volumes founded as a charter member of the New Jersey State Federation of Women's Club.
1889 Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Peace initiated the York Street Project.
  Present railroad terminal at Jersey City waterfront constructed by Central Railroad of New Jersey.
1890 American Sugar Refining Company established at Washington Street.
  The Nurturing Place founded at York Street.
1891 St. Joseph's Home for Blind at Pavonia Avenue and St. Joseph's School for the Blind at Baldwin Avenue were founded.
1892 Electric trolley began operations in Jersey City.
1893 Whittier House, a social settlement house, founded by Cornelia Foster Bradford at Grand Street.

Hudson (now Kennedy) Boulevard opened.


Hudson County (now John F. Kennedy) Boulevard opened.

  Mary Philbrook, from Jersey City, is first woman in New Jersey admitted to the bar.
  Regiment Armory completed for the 4th Regiment of the New Jersey National Guard.
1896 Jersey City's City Hall at Grove Street and Montgomery Avenue completed.
1899 Pennsylvania Railroad began the marine freight terminal at Greenville yards.
1901 Jersey City Free Public Library opened.
1903 Publication of "The Housing Conditions of Jersey City" by Mary B. Sayles, a resident of Whittier House.
1904 Jersey City High School opened; it was renamed Dickinson High School in 1913.
1905 St. Mary's Residence at Washington Street opened to working women.
1906 First Colgate Clock installed on Jersey City waterfront.
  Erie Railroad began construction of the Bergen Arches.
  Jersey City High School (now Dickinson High School) opened; it was renamed in 1913.
1907 Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company Warehouse developed in the cobblestone district.
  The Majestic Theater opened on Grove Street.
1908 Powerhouse is activated to generate energy to Hudson & Manhattan Tunnel (February 25).
  Evening Journal renamed the Jersey Journal.
1910 Hudson River Railroad Tunnel opened.
  Brennan Hudson County Court House on Newark Avenue replaces old Hudson County Court House.
1911 Hudson and Manhattan "Tube Trains" (now PATH) began service to New York.
  St. Ann's Home for Aged founded at Old Bergen Avenue.
1912 Fairmount Hotel Apartment completed.
1913 Lincoln High School opened at Crescent Avenue.


By: Carmela Karnoutsos
Project Administrator: Patrick Shalhoub