Click here to return to the Jersey City: Past and Present Home Page Click here to return to the list of website time periods. Click here to return to the alphabetized list of website entries.
Hudson and Lembeck Buildings
Corner of Lembeck and Ocean Avenues





Lembeck Building
SE corner of Lembeck and Ocean Aves.
Photo: C. Karnoutsos, 2007

North Fork Bank - Greenville Branch
Formerly Greenville Banking and Trust Company
SE corner of Lembeck and Ocean Aves.
Photo: C. Karnoutsos, 2007

Early 20th Century postcard of the Hudson Building
NE corner of Lembeck and Ocean Aves.
Courtesy, RF Smith

Detail of the Hudson Building
NE corner of Lembeck and Ocean Aves.
Photo: C. Karnoutsos, 2007
Henry Lembeck (1826-1904)
Courtesy, Jersey City Free Public Library

Former Henry Lembeck Mansion
Now Saint Anne's Home for the Aged
Lembeck Ave. between Ocean Ave. and Old Bergen Road
Photo: C. Karnoutsos, 2007

Henry Lembeck (1826-1904), one of the founders of Lembeck and Betz Eagle Brewing Company, built two buildings at the east side of Lembeck and Ocean Avenues: The Hudson Building at 13-15 Ocean Avenue and the Lembeck Building at 160 Lembeck Avenue.

The Hudson Building was constructed in 1898 during the dominance of the Romanesque Revival style popularized by architect Henry Hobson Richardson. The three-story gray-green building originally housed the Hudson Real Estate Company of which Lembeck was a director.

The former entrance of the northeast corner property at Ocean and Lembeck Avenues features an extended pediment over a doorway-since replaced by a window-and is flanked by Corinthian columns. The distinctive rounded corner section of the building is green and has three-part bay windows on the second and third floors; the name "Hudson Building" is engraved above the second-story windows. The ground floor features rusticated masonry on the facades facing Ocean and Lembeck Avenues; rectangular windows with vertical stone lintels line the second floor; and arched windows with engraved semi-circular lintels and decorative keystone design surround the third floor.

From 1910, the Hudson Building was occupied by Greenville Banking and Trust Company, of which Lembeck had been one of the founders. The Hudson Building was renovated in 1970 and has 22 apartment units.

In 1924, the Greenville bank relocated to a new Classical Revival building by New York architect Alfred C. Bossum at the southwest corner of Ocean and Lembeck Avenues. The bank merged with the Trust Company of New Jersey in 1929 and today the building is a branch of the North Fork Bank. The façade on Ocean Avenue has a recessed opening flanked by prominent two-story fluted Ionic columns and is topped with a pediment. One enters the building by way of the three-riser granite stairs leading to the front entrance with replacement contemporary class doors. Above the doorway is a cornice with engraved brackets that serves as the base for a clock set in the classical revival style.

The Lembeck Building at southeast corner of Ocean and Lembeck Avenues is an imposing gray-green stone three-story structure. Built in the Romanesque Revival style like the Hudson Building, it has a prominent corner entrance with an arched round-headed stone doorway flanked by squared Ionic columns topped by a cornice with modillion. Rusticated masonry decorates the first story street facades. On the second floor, a succession of windows is set in a semi-circular pattern carved in the façade with arched transoms; the windows are each flanked by side rounded Ionic columns. Windows topped with vertical stone lintels surround the third floor; and a decorative green cornice outlines the property. The name "Lembeck Building" is engraved in the stone above the third-story corner window. Today the first floor is commercially occupied and the top floors have apartments.

Lembeck lived in the home that he designed at 46 Columbia Place (today Lembeck Avenue) and Old Bergen Road. The mansion today serves as the administrative building for St. Ann's Home for the Aged on Old Bergen Road.

"Biography of Henry B. Lembeck." (Copied from Memorial History of New York and The Hudson River Valley, Volume V 1896), 4pp.
"Death List of a Day, Henry Lembeck." New York Times 26 July 1904.
"Great Loss to Jersey City." New York Times 15 September 1895.
Muirhead, Edward G. ed. Jersey City of To-Day, Its History, People, Trades, Commerce, Institutions and Industries, New Jersey America. Jersey City, NJ: Walter G. Muirhead, 1910.


By: Carmela Karnoutsos
Project Administrator: Patrick Shalhoub