Working in the US - International Visitors and US Taxes


All individuals present in the U.S. in F-1, F-2, J-1, or J-2 nonimmigrant status must file Form 8843, even if they received NO income during 2016. Form 8843 must be filed if an individual is:

  • present in the US in 2016
  • a nonresident alien
  • in F-1, F-2, J-1, or J-2 status

These individuals are required to file Form 8843, even if otherwise not required to file a US income tax return.

When and Where To File: If you are filing only Form 8843, it should be sent to the Department of the Treasury, Internal Revenue Service Center, Austin, TX 73301-0215.

The Form 8843 Filing Deadline is June 15, 2017.

IRS Publication 519 US Tax Guide for Aliens provides details of tax requirements for International Students and other non-US residents. International Students and Scholars are, in most cases, exempt from Social Security and Medicare taxes. See page 45, "Nonresident Alien Students" for specific information about this exemption.

If you have been employed and these taxes were withheld, you should bring it to the attention of the employer's Payroll Office.

If your employer has incorrectly withheld Social Security and Medicare taxes and will not refund them, you can apply for a refund yourself.

Form 843 - Claim form for tax refunds.

Instructions for Form 843

Form 8316 - Information Regarding Request for Refund of Social Security Tax Erroneously Withheld on Wages Received by a Nonresident Alien on an F, J, or M Type Visa