NJCU is a Game-Changing Force for Our Students
New Jersey City University is dedicated to the development of our students, our city, our communities, and our state.
We have been recognized as one of the top colleges in the nation improving our students' upward economic mobility. Whether enrolled in one of our undergraduate, graduate, or doctoral programs at our three locations, NJCU students have access to an affordable, diverse environment, and an exceptionally supportive faculty. This prepares them to go on to become the next generation of workers and leaders who improve their communities and the State of New Jersey.
A proud minority-serving and Hispanic-serving institution and the anchor institution of the most diverse city in our country, we’re also changing the game for our city, our communities, and our state. We’ve established partnerships to ensure the area’s growth directly benefits our students and community members. We seek to improve the lives of everyone in the Garden State, whether bringing educational programs to K-12 students, offering bachelor’s degrees in partnership with community colleges, or providing professional development opportunities for adults.
At NJCU, we’re not just educating minds, we’re lifting communities. We’re changing the game.
Truly Equal Access to Education
- Recognized as one of the top colleges in the nation improving students’ upward economic mobility.
- The oldest minority and Hispanic-serving institution in the state, serving thousands of first-generation students.
- NJCU’s undergraduate population is 45% Latino, 21% Black, and 54% first generation.
- The median household annual income of NJCU’s students is $42,000. This is the lowest of New Jersey’s four-year public colleges by a considerable margin.
- Access to education is at the core of our mission. We offer one of the most affordable tuition rates in the state, making higher education available to the most marginalized communities. We show up for our students and work to make higher education truly accessible.
NJCU Gives Back to Hudson County and Nearby Communities
- Partnering with the New Jersey Economic Development Authority to advance New Jersey’s leadership in emerging technologies through the FinTech and Sports Wagering Innovation Center.
- NJCU is the first public university in the state to sign an agreement with its local Building Trades Union to provide internships to its students and ensure that all university construction projects that exceed $5 million be completed by union labor.
- Providing pre-college educational opportunities through programs like GEAR UP and Proyecto Science.
- Partnering with TheDream.US, the nation’s largest college and career success program for undocumented immigrant students to provide scholarships and educational support.