Through VALE (Virtue Academic Library Environment)
This borrowing program is for faculty and staff of member institutions who are in good standing at their home libraries. Graduate and undergraduate students are also extended privileges from most participating libraries. An Application Form for VALE Reciprocal Borrowing must first be completed at the Circulation Desk of NJCU Library. Borrowing privileges at member institutions vary. VALE borrowers from other institutions are allowed to check out up to five books at a time from the NJCU Library.
Students fulfilling these requirements are allowed to check out up to five books at a time after completing the application form. Please review VALE's Reciprocal Borrowing Agreement and Instructions to Faculty, Staff and Students.
When NJCU faculty, staff, or students if applicable, express an interest in applying for onsite borrowing privileges at a participating VALE library: (a) provide them with a copy of the VALE Reciprocal Borrowing Application Form.
- When presented with a completed form, verify that the user is currently enrolled or employed in NJCU and is in good standing at the library.
- The authorized home library designee (see lists of Faculty/staff Contacts, Graduate Students Contacts, or Undergraduate Students Contacts at the desk and also posted on the VALE web site) then completes the section of the application form labeled “This section filled out by home library staff.” Include the name of your library, your name and title (please print), your signature, telephone number, email, and today’s date. A photocopy of the completed form is then required for record keeping purposes.
- In cases when the library’s designee is unavailable, follow local procedures to complete the pre-signed application form.
- When presented with a completed VALE Reciprocal Borrowing Application Form from another participating library, check that the designated library contact has completed the bottom section of the form labeled. This section is filled out by home library staff (see lists of Faculty/staff Contacts, Graduate Students Contacts, or Undergraduate Students Contacts at the desk and also posted on the VALE web site).” If you are unsure if an authorized staff member at the home library has signed the form, telephone the home library to verbally confirm the user's identity. Do not refer users back to their home library without first attempting to confirm their eligibility.
- Ask to see the user's photo ID from their home institution and check for currency, call home library if necessary.
- Follow local Circulation Procedures for granting VALE borrowing privileges; for example, create an online user record and/or borrower card.
- Remember to always give the expiration date of June 30th of the current academic year.
- If an established VALE borrower wishes to renew their privileges, they must present a new signed form from their home library before you can extend their privileges for another year.
Please note that Hudson County Community College students are also extended privileges; however the agreement is not reciprocal. HCCC students can check out up to five books with a current college ID card.