Important Updates to the NJCU Masking Policy
Dear Members of the NJCU Community,
Throughout the 2021-22 academic year, the NJCU community has been resilient, and we appreciate the cooperation of our campus community in following the university’s masking policy to help maintain a safe environment for all who work, live, and learn at NJCU. These guidelines, combined with our vaccination efforts, have maximized the mitigation of the spread of the virus throughout the year and ultimately have helped NJCU maintain among the lowest rates of COVID-19 infection of any campus in the state. We thank the university community for their patience and efforts as the university has vigilantly adhered to changing public health conditions.
Today, we are writing to share important changes to COVID-19 policies that apply to all students, faculty, staff and visitors on the NJCU main campus, and our two locations at the NJCU School of Business and NJCU @ Fort Monmouth.
Effective Monday, May 23, the following changes will apply at our institution:
- NJCU will pivot to become a mask optional environment, with specific exceptions listed below. Wearing a mask will no longer be required in most situations on campus.
- Anyone wishing to wear a mask is welcome to do so.
- Faculty may require masks to be worn in their classes and labs. Additionally, specific departments and the Health and Wellness Center may require masking in their private office spaces. Students and visitors are asked to comply with these requests. It is the university’s expectation that each individual choice is respected.
- University community members may ask others to wear a mask when meeting. If someone is wearing a mask in an enclosed space, we encourage you to ask others if they would prefer you to wear a mask as well. Please keep in mind that there are members of our community or their families with autoimmune issues or compromised health concerns, and others who have been medically instructed to wear a mask. We ask everyone to be considerate of such requests.
- The NJCU community should continue to carry a mask with them for those situations where one is desired or needed.
- Building signage will change from “Face masks required indoors regardless of vaccination status” to “Masking Optional for Fully Vaccinated”.
- Continued self-reporting of positive COVID results is still expected by faculty, staff, and students.
- Employees and students who are not fully vaccinated must continue to be masked and weekly testing of those with an exemption from the vaccination policy is expected in order to be on campus.
- The campus community is expected to adhere to the university’s COVID-19 vaccination policy, which is outlined here.
- All members of the NJCU community who are eligible for a COVID vaccination booster are encouraged to do so.