The Gilman International Scholarship Program offers scholarships for undergraduate, U.S. citizens of limited financial means, to pursue academic studies abroad. Named after retired Congressman Benjamin A. Gilman, NY, the program's goal is to diversify the kinds of students who study abroad and the countries and regions where they go. Specifically, the Gilman Program offers scholarships for students who have been traditionally underrepresented in education abroad.
Award recipients receive up to $5,000 to apply toward study abroad program costs, including program fees, tuition, room and board, airfare, books and local transportation.
Scholarship Eligibility Requirements
- Applicant must be a U.S. citizen, undergraduate student at a 2 or 4 year institution in the United States.
- Applicant must be receiving a Federal Pell Grant at the time of application or during the term of study abroad.
- Applicant must be applying to a study abroad program eligible for credit at the student's institution of higher education in the U.S.
- Applicant must be studying abroad for a minimum of 4 weeks in one country.
- Study abroad program cannot take place in a country on the U.S. Department of State's Travel Warning list.
- Study abroad program takes place in the fall, spring or academic intercessions. Summer-only programs are not eligible.
Critical Need Language Supplement
Students studying critical need languages are automatically considered for the Gilman Critical Need Language Supplement, which provides Gilman recipients with an additional $3,000 for a total possible award of up to $8,000.
Critical Need Languages include:
- Indian Languages
- Persian Languages
- Turkish Languages
The Gilman Program Strongly Encourages Applications From
- Students from diverse ethnic backgrounds
- Students going to non-traditional study abroad destinations
- Students attending community colleges
- Students with disabilities
- Students in fields of study underrepresented in study abroad
- Complete the online application at http://www.iie.org/en/Programs/Gilman-Scholarship-Program.
- Contact your Financial Aid and Study Abroad advisors at your home institution to notify them you are applying for the Gilman Scholarship.
- Send 3 copies of your transcripts from your current institution and any previous institution indicated on your application.
For study abroad during Fall & Academic Year complete online application by April. For study abroad during Spring complete online application by October.