Procedures & Forms

Photo of Karnoutsos landscape view with foliage

Guidelines and Procedures

If you are a student with a disability and wish to receive consideration for reasonable accommodations, please register with the Office of Specialized Services and Supplemental Instruction (OSS/SI). To apply for services, please complete the registration form and return the completed form with documentation of the disability to K-105. This information can also be submitted via fax (201-200-3083) or email ( Documentation guidelines can be found on the OSS/SI homepage and on the registration form.

Registration Form

The following Services/Resources are available to students currently registered at NJCU and the Office of Specialized Services.

Requests for Accommodations

Each semester, students must complete an accommodation request form to indicate the accommodations needed for each class. Please list each class, including section number, for which you are seeking accommodations. Please note this form must be completed every semester for which you are enrolled. It is strongly advised that this form be submitted prior to the start of the semester or preferably no later than the add/drop deadline. Please note accommodations cannot be provided on a retroactive basis. Timely submission of your requests is highly recommended.

Accommodation Request Form

(Must be completed each semester)

Requests for Note Taking Assistance

In order to receive note taking assistance for a course or courses, a student must:

  • Officially register with the OSS/SI and have a documented disability that requires note taking assistance as a reasonable accommodation supported by documentation.
  • Have received approval from the OSS/SI Director for note taking assistance as a reasonable accommodation for the semester/classes for which notes are being requested.
  • Complete the Request Form for Note Taking Assistance (see below).
  • Follow OSS/SI policies and procedures for obtaining note taking assistance.

Note Taking Assistance Request Form

Requests for Testing Accommodations

Students who are requesting testing accommodations, such as alternate testing facilities, extended time for testing, and/or use of computer with spell-check, must complete the testing accommodation request form. Testing accommodation request forms should be completed and submitted online at least one week prior to the scheduled exam.

Reminder: you must complete a separate form for each exam.

Tests/quizzes are proctored by Office of Specialized Services and Supplemental Instruction staff and any form of academic dishonesty will be reported to your instructor and/or the appropriate Dean. The University states that any violation of academic integrity may be subject to a penalty based on the infraction that may include a reprimand, reduction in grade, failing grade, suspension, or dismissal from the University.
Students are not permitted to have access to books or notes or any other materials (cell phone, internet access, etc.) during testing unless written notice is received directly from the instructor.

Testing Accommodation Request Form

Requests for Assistive Technology

Students who wish to borrow equipment or software (assistive technology) from the OSS/SI must be registered with the office, currently enrolled in classes, and complete a student lending agreement. Equipment is available on a first-come, first-served basis. When the item is due back, be sure to return all cords, cables, chargers, and cases that came with the equipment you checked out. Office staff will inspect equipment to be sure all equipment pieces are present. Students will be held responsible for lost/damaged equipment. Failure to return borrowed equipment will result in a registration hold preventing future enrollment.

Student Lending Agreement

Requests for Course Materials in Alternate Format

Students who require textbooks or course books in Alternate Format must complete the request form. Please note requests may take several weeks to be fully processed so please submit your requests in a timely fashion. Proof of purchase of textbooks and other materials may also be required. Please submit receipts to J. Zegarra in K105 or to

Alternate Format Request Form

Books Available from Bookshare; CourseSmart; the National Library Service; Project Gutenberg or Vital Source:

Students can order their books directly from the source listed and do not need to submit the Alternate Textbook Request Form for that book. To order accessible electronic books directly from Bookshare, CourseSmart, the National Library Service, Project Gutenberg or Vital Source, go to the link below and order your book:

  • Bookshare: "is an accessible online library for people with print disabilities. Free memberships for qualified U.S. students and schools." To sign up for bookshare and obtain your electronic book, go to the Bookshare sign up page.
  • Read How You Want: an accessibility site from which you can obtain a title in whatever font size or accessibility format you desire, including DAISY and other text-to-speech editions. These titles are direct-for-sale to the end user, so it is no longer necessary for the student to purchase an unusable text copy of the book. The student can simply access the RHYW site directly, search for the desired book, and purchase in the desired format.
  • National Library Service: "is a network of regional and subregional libraries that provide a free library service to persons who are unable to use standard printed material because of visual or physical disabilities. Library patrons can expect to borrow audio or braille books such as they might find in print at a local public library. Books and magazines in audio form (talking books) and braille are delivered to eligible readers by postage-free mail and are returned in the same manner. Specially designed phonographs and cassette players are also loaned free to persons who borrow talking books from their library."
  • Project Gutenberg: "offers over 40,000 free ebooks: choose among free epub books, free kindle books, download them or read them online. We carry high quality ebooks: All our ebooks were previously published by bona fide publishers. We digitized and diligently proofread them with the help of thousands of volunteers."
  • VitalSource: "is an e-textbook platform that uses VitalSource Bookshelf which can be accessed online or via download, and is not tied to any one type of device. Bookshelf apps are available for Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android. These applications are also industry leaders in accessibility for disabled students. Information about accessibility and VitalSource can be found at the VitalSource Accessibility Support page."

Emotional Support Animal Guidelines for Residential Students

If you are a Residential Student and are requesting to have an Emotional Support Animal reside with you in campus housing, please review the NJCU Emotional Support Animal Guidelines for Residential Students and also submit an ESA registration form. An OSS Registration Form and documentation of a disability must also be submitted.

New Jersey City University follows the most recent guidance from the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) regarding emotional support animals (ESA). In accordance with HUD and the Fair Housing Act (FHA), New Jersey City University has created the following guidelines for ESAs in the residence halls.

Definition of Emotional Support Animal (ESA)

An emotional support animal is one that is necessary to afford the person with a disability an equal opportunity to use and enjoy University housing.  An ESA may provide physical assistance, emotional support, calming, stability, and other kinds of assistance.  ESAs do not perform work or tasks that would qualify them as a “Service Animal” under the Americans with Disabilities Act.

ESA Approval

Students who wish to explore bringing an ESA to live with them in housing are required to contact the Office of Specialized Services (OSS) to learn what information must be submitted to the University’s OSS in order to request approval.  All information will be reviewed by the OSS, with input from the Office of Housing and Residence Life.

Student’s Responsibilities

  1. ESAs must be owned, managed and controlled only by the student who has been approved to keep the ESA.
  2. Student must be in full control of the animal at all times. The animal must be within six (6) feet of student’s person at all times while on University property and outside of student’s room. 
  3. The animal is expected to be well behaved (not jumping, nipping, snarling or barking) while in the presence of other people. 
  4. ESAs must be transported in an animal carrier or controlled by leash or harness at all times outside of the student’s room.
  5. The student is financially responsible for the actions of the approved ESA, including but not limited to any actions resulting in bodily injury and/or property damage. Students with approved ESAs must take appropriate precautions to prevent injury and property damage.  Any damage requiring maintenance above and beyond the normal maintenance cleaning and any other damage to New Jersey City University property caused by the animal will be charged to the student’s New Jersey City University account. 
  6. At all times, the cost of care and maintenance of the health and well-being of the ESA are the sole responsibility of the student. The animal must have an annual examination from a licensed veterinarian and be deemed in good health. The student must provide documentation of the ESAs compliance with all relevant state and local ordinances regarding animal ownership, vaccinations and proper licensure. 
  7. The student is responsible for properly containing and disposing of all animal waste.  Indoor animal waste must be placed in a sturdy plastic bag and tied securely before being disposed of in a designated receptacle.  Outdoor animal waste, such as dog feces, must be immediately retrieved by the resident, placed in a plastic bag and securely tied before being disposed of in a designated receptacle.
  8. Animals may only be walked by the student owner in the designated relief area.  No party other than the student is permitted to walk, supervise or control the animal. Student is responsible for discouraging others (student’s faculty and staff) from petting, feeding, walking or deliberately startling the animal. 
  9. Animals must wear owner identification tag (which includes the name and phone number of the owner) and a current rabies vaccination tag at all times. 
  10. The student will provide Office of Specialized Services and Residence Life with contact information for a person who can be contacted in the event of an emergency or if the student is unable to care for the ESA at any time.  Current New Jersey City University residents or staff members are not appropriate choices for an emergency contact and will not be permitted.
  11. The student is solely responsible for the health and safety of the animal.  Student is responsible to ensure the animal is kept clean (regular bathing and grooming).  If animal neglect of any kind is suspected, OSS or Residence Life staff will contact the student and New Jersey City University Police.  The animal should not be left alone in the unit for unreasonably long periods of time. 

ESAs in Residence Halls

All areas except for privately assigned living space in housing are off-limits to approved ESAs.

  1. All animals must be placed in a crate or cage when the student is not present in the residence hall room.
  2. Maintenance will work to provide a 24 hour notice of entrance into rooms with an ESA.  All ESAs must be placed in a crate or cage when maintenance staff are completing work orders.
  3. The student is responsible for assuring that the animal does not interfere with the orderly operation of the residence hall or cause difficulties for other residents of the community.  Sensitivity to residents with allergies and to those who fear animals is important to ensure a positive residential community.
  4. New Jersey City University will inspect the residential unit on a regular basis as part of routine health and safety checks of all residential space.  If fleas, ticks or other pests are detected through inspection, the unit will be treated using fumigation methods by the university-approved pest control services. All costs will be billed to the student’s account and will be the sole responsibility of the student.

Removal of ESA

  • ESAs shall be removed from New Jersey City University premises if:
    • the ESA bites or displays aggressive behavior towards other students, staff, or guests;
    • the ESA is disruptive or has caused damage to university property:  
    • the ESA is not housebroken.
  • If improper animal behavior occurs, the student may be asked to remove the animal from the residence hall until the student can demonstrate that s/he has taken significant steps to mitigate the behavior.

Please Note

Students are required to submit an OSS/SI registration form and documentation of the disability that supports the request for an ESA. Students must also submit an ESA registration form and receive approval from the Office of Specialized Services before bringing the animal to the residence hall.

Links to the forms: 

OSS/SI Registration Form
ESA Registration Form