TRiO Learning Community
TRiO Learning Community
About the TriO Learning Community Program
The TRiO Learning Community (TLC) Program, a federal student Support Services Program at New Jersey City University, is funded by the United States Department of Education and New Jersey City University. This program is designed to provide support services to low-income, first-generation students and/or students with disabilities.
The TRiO Learning Community (TLC) Program at New Jersey City University is known nationally as a federal Student Support Services (SSS) program. TLC is a federally-funded TRiO program that provides opportunities for academic development, assists students in meeting basic college requirements, and serves to motivate students towards the successful completion of their post-secondary education. Although nationally each program is different, we all share the same purpose: to retain and graduate the students we serve.
The program provides opportunities for academic development, assists students with basic college requirements, and serves to motivate students toward the successful completion of their postsecondary education. The goal of SSS is to increase the college retention and graduation rates of its participants and help students make the transition from one level of higher education to the next.
Projects include: instruction in basic study skills; tutorial services; academic, financial, or personal counseling; assistance in securing admission and financial aid for enrollment in graduate and professional programs; guidance on career options; mentoring and special services for students with limited English proficiency (LEP); and college scholarships.
- Academic Advising
- Academic Coaching
- Graduate School Counseling
- College Success Workshops
- Cultural Enrichment Activities
- Financial Aid Completion Assistance
- Study Abroad Opportunities
- Career Guidance
- Reference Library
- Computer and Printing Access
- Personal Support
- Community Service Opportunities
TLC is a federally funded TRiO program committed to the success of first-generation, low-income, and/or students with disabilities. Our mission is to:
- Inspire students to believe that they can achieve academic success
- Develop their Desire to obtain the necessary skills, knowledge, and acumen to complete a post-secondary education
- Support students with necessary services in order for them to Persist until graduation
TLC participants graduate as polished and knowledgeable professionals ready to continue on to graduate school or as global citizens ready to conquer the competitive work force.
Applicants must be currently enrolled or accepted for enrollment at New Jersey City University; be a U.S. citizen or National of the United States or meet the requirements for federal student financial aid; demonstrate academic need; and have at least ONE of the following apply to you:
- You are a First-Generation College Student (neither of the student's parents have received a bachelor's degree);
- You Demonstrate Financial Need (meet income requirements established by federal guidelines);
- You Have a Documented Disability
Student Support Services enrollment is limited. Students are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis. All services are provided at no cost to participants.
Hepburn Hall, Room 112-E