Use this Checklist
Complete the FAFSA at www.fafsa.ed.gov
Priority Deadline: March 1th
- Add New Jersey City University School Code 002613
- Make sure it's signed with your FSA ID
Complete the NJ State Application for Financial Aid
- At the end of the FAFSA application, there is a link to redirect you to the state application (HESAA) to answer additional questions for state aid consideration
- If you closed the window or can't find the link, go directly to www.hesaa.org and click on "Report Additional Information for State Aid"
Review your Student Aid Report (SAR)
- The SAR is a copy of what you reported on the FAFSA. You will receive an email when it is ready to be viewed online. Please check for any mistakes. If you made a mistake, you may log back onto www.fafsa.ed.gov to make a correction.
- The SAR will tell you if you were selected for verification. If so, you will receive a letter from our office outlining the additional documentation requested.
Submit any missing documentation
- Log on to GothicNet to see if you're missing any forms
- We will email you reminders if we require any additional documentation or forms.
- Please submit this information ASAP to the financial aid office
- If you estimated your tax information on the FAFSA, please use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to submit your updated tax information
Review your financial aid awards
- Awards can be viewed electronically on GothicNet
- New Students: Award letters will begin to be mailed in January
- Returning Students: Award letters will begin to be mail in March or check GothicNet starting in late March to see aid.
- Review costs and determine how much you owe for out of pocket expenses. Contact our office if you don't understand something
- Do you have a special circumstance? Complete the Special Circumstance: Request for Review form
Accept, adjust, or decline your student loan(s) on GothicNet
- Borrowing a Stafford loan for the first time? You must do two things:
- Complete Entrance Counseling at https://studentloans.gov/
- Sign Master Promissory Note (MPN) at https://studentloans.gov/
Apply for outside scholarships
- Use scholarship search engines
- Check with companies for scholarships opportunities
- If you receive a scholarship, notify the Office of Student Financial Aid by providing a copy of the award letter
Decide on payment options to pay the bill
- Payment plan
- Other payment options
- Parent PLUS loan
- Private loan
Pay your bill
- Bills are available in late July and due in mid-August
- You have to pay the difference between your charges and financial aid through one or more of the options above
Adding or dropping classes?
- Check with the Office of Student Financial Aid to see how it will affect your financial aid