All Full-Time Students Must Have Health Insurance
NJCU requires all full-time undergraduate and graduate students as defined by the University (12 or more credits for undergraduate, 9 or more credits for graduate) to carry health insurance. All full time students are automatically charged and must take action if they wish to waive the fee. The waiver website opens the week of July 7, 2020.
|Insurance Premium 2020 -2021
||Coverage Valid 08/15/20-08/14/21
Waive or Purchase Your University Health Insurance
- NJCU requires all full-time undergraduate (12 credits or more) and graduate students (9 credits or more) to carry health insurance.
- If you wish to waive the University Health Insurance, you must provide proof of alternative coverage by completing the online waiver prior to the deadline of Wednesday, October 7, 2020.
Steps to Waive Coverage:
In order to opt out of the NJCU University Aetna Student Health Insurance Plan, the student must agree to maintain health insurance coverage throughout the entire year. Additionally, the insurance plan must provide in-patient and out-patient coverage in the Northern New Jersey Region.
If you do not complete a waiver by Wednesday, October 7, 2020, or self-enroll, you will be automatically enrolled in the Aetna University Health Insurance after the waiver deadline.
To waive the NJCU insurance coverage:
- Go to the AETNA Student Health Center website
- Select the “Enroll/Waive” button in the navigation menu located on the left side of the webpage.
- Review the information on the page and then select the “Enroll/Waive” button.
- Enter your student ID and date of birth and click on “Get Started”.
NOTE: The deadline for waiving insurance for the Fall 2020 semester is Wednesday, October 7, 2020.
To Enroll in the NJCU Coverage:
If you wish to enroll (purchase) the University Health Insurance, administered by Aetna Student Health, you may self-enroll prior to the University enrollment period. The enrollment website will open the week of July 7, 2020.
Please also feel free to visit the Aetna website to help answer any questions.
If you would like to see if you qualify for other forms of health insurance like Medicaid or CHIP, please visit the healthcare.gov website.
- Copies of your insurance card submitted to the Office of Student Accounts or any other NJCU office does not constitute a waiver and is not acceptable. All waivers must be completed online by Wednesday, October 7, 2020.
- Students who do not complete a waiver by the deadline will be automatically enrolled in the plan and will be responsible for the annual premium.
- Students who waive their insurance in the fall may not enroll in the spring semester.
- Following Aetna requirements, the University reserves the right to make the final determination regarding eligibility for the initial and continued enrollment in this insurance plan.
- The University reserves the right to audit all waivers in order to ensure compliance with the University insurance requirements. Please be sure to have a copy of your insurance policy as you may be asked to provide documentation.
- A valid insurance card must be available when submitting the insurance waiver. Pending insurance coverage or a letter from your employer or third company is NOT acceptable.
- Students who waive the Aetna Student Health Insurance are eligible to enroll if there is a Qualifying Life Event which causes them to lose other insurance. Please contact Aetna Student Health to enroll (within 30 days of the event).
- The waiver process is once an academic year, new full-time students in the Spring Semester will need to take similar action to waive/enroll by dates later communicated by the University.
Waive Your Health Insurance
Undergraduate Health Insurance Fact Sheet
Graduate Health Insurance Fact Sheet