Veteran FAQ

Photo of veterans

Veteran FAQ

What programs are currently available for veterans at New Jersey City University?

  • Ch. 30 Montgomery GI Bill® Active Duty benefits (MGIB-AD)
  • Ch. 31 Veteran Readiness & Employment benefits (Disabled Veterans)
  • Ch. 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill® benefits
    • Yellow Ribbon Program/ Fry Scholarship/Transfer of Entitlement
  • Ch. 35 Dependents/Survivors Educational Assistance benefits (DEA)
  • Ch. 1606 Montgomery GI Bill® Selected Reserves benefits (MGIB-SR)
  • N.J. National Guard Tuition Waiver Program
  • Veterans Tuition Credit Program/Vietnam Veterans Tuition Aid Program

How do I find out if I am eligible for Montgomery GI Bill® Benefits?

NJCU does not determine eligibility. Inquiries regarding eligibility status for Chapters 30, 31, 33, 35, and 1606 should be directed toward the Department of Veteran Affairs, Educational Assistance: 888.GIBILL1 (888.442.4551) or

I am eligible for GI Bill® benefits. How do I activate them at New Jersey City University?

All students eligible to receive any form of veterans benefits or National Guard Tuition Waivers should contact the Office of Military and Veterans Services, Grossnickle, Room 418. Students eligible for tuition assistance should report directly to the Bursar's Office.

How long does it take to receive GI Bill® benefits?

  • Initial payments may take as long as 8 to 10 weeks to activate. Students filing under Chapters 30, 35, and 1606 will be given retroactive pay from the start of the semester, and continue to receive monthly installments thereafter.
  • Continuing students should receive their benefits within eight to 10 weeks.
  • Chapter 33 Veterans should receive their BAH payment approximately six to 8 weeks after courses begin, provided all paperwork was completed prior to the start of the semester.

How much of the GI Bill® benefit am I entitled to?

Your entitlement is dependent on many factors. Refer to for the current VA rates based on the chapter under which you will file.

What do I need to do to activate my GI Bill® benefits?

  • If this is the first time you are activating your benefits, you must fill out a VA Form 22-1990 and submit either a DD214 (separation papers) or a Form DD2384 (Notice of Basic Eligibility/NOBE) from your reserve unit.
  • If you are transferring your benefits from another institution, you must complete VA Form 22-1995 (Request for Change of Program or Place of Training) and provide a copy of your DD214 or NOBE.
  • Dependents of veterans should fill out VA Form 22-5490 for initial applications, and 22-5495 for transfers from other institutions.
  • Veterans filing under Chapter 33 who are transfer students must also provide a copy of their entitlement letter.

Does this institution participate in advanced payment?

No. Students filing under Chapters 30, 35, and 1606 must pay for courses upfront and will be reimbursed by the Department of Veteran Affairs. Reimbursement checks can be mailed directly to students or direct deposited into their bank accounts.

Do I need to verify my enrollment with the VA?

Students who receive Chapters 30, 1606, and 1607 must verify, on a monthly basis, that their enrollment has not changed. To do so, students can either call the automated system at (877)823-2378 or log on to the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) system at

I am a dependent/spouse of a veteran and am entitled to Chapter 35 benefits. What do I need to provide?

  • Dependents/spouses who are eligible for Chapter 35 benefits must provide the veteran's complete file number.
  • Chapter 35 recipients do not need to verify enrollment every month. Payment will be automatically disbursed.
  • Dependents/spouses who are eligible for the Chapter 33 Transfer of Entitlement program must submit a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) in order to utilize the benefit.

What should I do if I withdraw from a course during the semester?

  • If you withdraw from a course after you have been certified for the semester, you must notify the Office of Military and Veterans Services immediately if it is going to affect your change in status (full-time to 3⁄4 time, 3⁄4 time to half time, half time to 1⁄4 time). A change in status will result in a change in payment.
  • Chapter 33 recipients who withdraw from a class may be responsible for repayment to the VA, so it is imperative that you notify the Office of Military and Veterans Services of any changes as they occur.

How do I receive my Army College Fund and/or National Guard/Reserve "Kicker"?

  • Students who receive GI Bill® benefits and are eligible for the Army College Fund or National Guard/Reserve Kicker Incentives will have the benefits automatically "kick in" upon activation of the Montgomery GI Bill®.
  • Students receiving Chapter 33 benefits should refer to the GI Bill®website for information regarding various kickers.
  • If a kicker fails to activate, a student should contact the VA at (888)442-4551.

Do I need to reapply for benefits every semester?

  • Yes. Students must notify the Office of Military and Veterans Services every semester.
  • Chapter 33 recipients are certified as soon as schedules are finalized and tuition is posted. For all other chapters, paperwork is generally certified online through VA ONCE or sent out certified mail to the Department of Veterans Affairs one week after the end of the add/drop period.

It's been several weeks and I haven't received any payment. What should I do?

  • The Buffalo Regional Processing Office receives approximately 2,000 claims per day, so please be patient. If you are entitled to benefits, you will receive all retroactive pay that is due to you.
  • If you would like to inquire about the status of your benefits, you can call the VA's educational hotline at 888-442-4551 or post an inquiry online at
  • If the problem persists, please contact the Office of Military and Veterans Services.

I am repeating a course for which I did not achieve a satisfactory grade. Can I receive payment for this course?

  • The VA will only pay for a repeated course to satisfy a graduation requirement.
  • Repeated courses will only be paid for once. A third repeat will not be eligible for reimbursement.

I am a National Guard member. Do I need to file for financial aid?

Yes. Regardless of whether or not you are eligible for financial aid, you must, by state law, file every year or your tuition waiver will not be processed.

How many credits can I take using the National Guard Tuition Waiver?

  • You can take up to 15 or more college credits (graduate 9 or more); however, you are responsible for paying all student fees at the time your tuition is waived.
  • You must maintain a GPA of 2.0 or higher to continue using the waiver.

Can I use the National Guard Tuition Waiver during the summer sessions? How about for winter intersession?

  • Yes. One waiver will cover both summer sessions 1 and 2.
  • Students must notify the VA office if they plan to enroll in both summer sessions so that a note can be posted for the Bursar's Office.
  • Students using the waiver for winter intersession must submit a separate waiver.

I am entitled to Chapter 31 Veteran Readiness & Employment Benefits. What do I need to do to receive them?

  • If you are eligible for Chapter 31 Veteran Readiness & Employment benefits, you should contact the Office of Military and Veterans Services and have your case manager submit a VA Form 28-1905 (Authorization and Certification of Entrance or Reentrance into Rehabilitation and Certification of Status) to the University.
  • Notification will be sent to both the Bursar's office and the campus bookstore.
  • Bookstore purchases are limited to books and course-related materials.

I am entitled to collect benefits under the Veterans Tuition Credit Program/Vietnam Veterans Tuition Aid Program. What do I need to do in order to receive them?

  • If you are a Vietnam Era veteran and are either eligible to receive these benefits or want to find out if you are entitled to them, please contact the Office of Military and Veterans Services, Grossnickle, Room 418
  • Paperwork must be filed by March 1 for the spring semester, and by October 1 for the fall semester.
  • Veterans must be registered for at least six credits to utilize this benefit.

Can I receive credit for past military experience?

  • Yes. New students must submit all official transcripts (JST, CCAF), DD214's, or educational-oriented certificates to the Transfer Resource Center, at NJCU.
  • Students who leave the university to attend Basic Military Training (or additional schooling) for any branch of service can also request transfer credit upon returning to NJCU. If students return prior to being out for three consecutive semesters, they must fill out a Waiver of General Studies Courses form, and have it signed by the Office of Military and Veterans Services, Grossnickle, Room 418.

I would like to take a CLEP exam and use my GI Bill®. Is this possible?

Is NJCU participating in the Yellow Ribbon Program?

  • Yes, NJCU will award Yellow Ribbon Agreements for up to 25 individuals overall on a first-come, first-served basis. Tuition will be waived up to 50% of the remaining balance provided the VA agrees to pay the other half. A Veteran must be classified at the 100% level in order to be eligible for this program.

Does NJCU have an ROTC program?

  • NJCU is a ROTC crosstown school with both Seton Hall University and New Jersey Institute of Technology.
  • For additional information about Army ROTC, please contact the Seton Hall University Pirate Battalion at (973)313-6251 or visit
  • For additional information about Air Force ROTC, please contact the NJIT AFROTC Detachment 490 at (973)596-3626 or visit

Does NJCU award credit for ROTC training?

  • NJCU students who concurrently attend a ROTC program at Seton Hall University must contact Elaine Gargiulo (201)200-2157 for enrollment in ROTC Leadership courses in order to receive credit.
  • NJCU students who concurrently attend a ROTC program at New Jersey Institute of Technology, and are interested in seeking credit for ROTC courses, must fill out a Waiver of General Studies Courses form, and have it signed by the Office of Military and Veterans Services, Grossnickle, Room 418. Official transcripts must be submitted to the Transfer Resource Center at the conclusion of each academic year.

I am an active duty solider and have a tuition assistance form from my unit. How do I proceed?

Active duty soldiers using tuition assistance can bring their forms directly to the Bursar's Office, located in Hepburn Hall, Room 106. Anyone using tuition assistance must notify the Veterans Office at

I have concerns about non-educational veterans benefits. Who can I contact?

Information about veterans benefits is available at or by calling (800) 827-1000.

Contact Us

Location: GSUB Room 127
Phone: 201-200-3199
Elaine Gargiulo, Director
Randi Fontanez, Assistant to the Director