Becoming a Teacher in New Jersey
The New Pathways Alternate Route Program provides a process for individuals to become licensed teachers. The program includes 400 hours (24 credits) of education courses that are taken during candidates' first two years of teaching.
Steps in the Alternate Route Program
- Apply to the NJDOE for a Certificate of Eligibility (CE). This allows you to obtain a teaching job. Apply for a CE here.
- Complete a 50-hour Introduction to Teaching Course. This allows your school to obtain a Provisional License for you.
- Begin teaching in the Provisional Teacher Program.
- Begin taking the remaining 350 hours of coursework through New Pathways.
- Obtain a Standard Certificate to teach in New Jersey when courses are complete and you have two successful year-end teaching evaluations within a three year consecutive period.
How to Apply for a Certificate of Eligibility from the New Jersey Department of Education
- Meet the content requirements. You must have the equivalent of a major in the subject you want to teach or 64 credits in liberal arts for an elementary certificate. Check the requirements here.
- Meet the Basic Skills Requirement. The NJDOE requires a passing score on the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators tests or an exemption. For more information about test, refer to Test Requirements for Certification in NJ.
- Pass the Praxis II Subject Assessment test for the area you plan to teach. For the latest test requirements please visit the Praxis test site.
- Submit your CE application to the New Jersey State Department of Education (NJDOE). You will apply online.
- Send an official transcript to NJDOE.
- For more specific information about the CE application process, you may visit the New Jersey State Department of Education web site or email Licensing.Requests@doe.nj.gov
CTE Certificates: See the requirements for your specialty: CTE Endorsements
Graduate Program Tuition
NPTNJ is a Graduate level for-credit program. The current tuition rates can be found here.
Graduate Tuition Tables
NON-CREDIT (Only applicable to students admitted prior to Fall 2022):
Semester 1 = 7 credits ($805)
Semester 2 = 6 credits ($690)
Semester 3 = 6 credits ($690)
Semester 4 = 5 credits ($575)
As the NPTNJ program continues to grow and change, we have made changes that we feel best support NPTNJ students and the schools and communities they serve. Beginning in Fall, 2022, all new NPTNJ students will complete the program with credit courses only. Students who are currently enrolled in NPTNJ will have the opportunity to choose non-credit courses through December of 2023. Fall of 2023 will be the last semester that NPTNJ will offer non-credit course options. If any current NPTNJ students step out of the program for a semester, then they will become inactive and will be required to reapply under the new program guidelines.
Admission into the 50-Hour Introduction to Teaching class:
- Instructional Candidates: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a cumulative 3.0 GPA or higher from a bachelor’s or master’s degree program. Send your official transcript to email@example.com. Once your materials have been approved, you may register for the 50-Hour class held online via NJCU or in-person at one of the participating community colleges.
- CTE Candidates: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a cumulative 3.0 GPA or higher from a bachelor’s or master’s degree program. Send your official transcript to firstname.lastname@example.org. Once your materials have been approved, you may register for the 50-Hour class held online via NJCU or in-person at one of the participating community colleges. Check the specific requirements for your Certificate of Eligibility. You must be sure you can meet the requirements for the CE before applying for admission..
Admission into semester one courses: