Becoming a Teacher in New Jersey
The New Pathways Alternate Route Program provides a process for individuals to become licensed teachers. The program includes 400 hours (24 credits) of education courses that are taken during candidates' first two years of teaching.
Steps in the Alternate Route Program
- Apply to the NJDOE for a Certificate of Eligibility (CE). This allows you to obtain a teaching job. Apply for a CE here.
- Complete a 50-hour Introduction to Teaching Course. This allows your school to obtain a Provisional License for you.
- Begin teaching in the Provisional Teacher Program.
- Begin taking the remaining 350 hours of coursework through New Pathways.
- Obtain a Standard Certificate to teach in New Jersey when courses are complete and you have two successful year-end teaching evaluations.
How to Apply for a Certificate of Eligibility from the New Jersey Department of Education
- Meet the content requirements. You must have the equivalent of a major in the subject you want to teach or 64 credits in liberal arts for an elementary certificate. Check the requirements here.
- Meet the Basic Skills Requirement. The NJDOE requires a passing score on the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators tests or an exemption. For more information about test, refer to Test Requirements for Certification in NJ.
- Pass the Praxis II Subject Assessment test for the area you plan to teach. For the latest test requirements please visit the Praxis test site.
- Submit your CE application to the New Jersey State Department of Education (NJDOE). You will apply online.
- Send an official transcript to NJDOE.
- For more specific information about the CE application process, you may visit the New Jersey State Department of Education web site or email Licensing.Requests@doe.nj.gov
CTE Certificates: See the requirements for your specialty: CTE Endorsements
- The NPTNJ Alternate Route Program is equivalent to 400 hours of instruction or 24 credits over four semesters. The 50-hour, Introduction to Teaching class is offered online at NJCU as well as participating community colleges throughout New Jersey. NJCU offers all four semesters of New Pathways entirely online.
- NON-CREDIT: The cost is $100 per credit and is paid by the semester:
- Semester 1 = 7 credits ($700)
- Semester 2 = 6 credits ($600)
- Semester 3 = 6 credits ($600)
- Semester 4 = 5 credits ($500)
- FOR-CREDIT: Graduate credit is available and may be used towards the Master of Arts in Teaching degree in Elementary, Secondary or Special Education. CTE Candidates can take courses for graduate credit if they have a bachelor's degree. Tuition is subject to change. The current tuition rates can be found here.
Admission into the 50-Hour Introduction to Teaching class:
- Instructional Candidates: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a cumulative 2.75 GPA (if you graduated prior to September 2016) or a 3.0 GPA (if you graduated after September 2016) or higher from a bachelor’s or master’s degree program. Send your official transcript to firstname.lastname@example.org. Once your materials have been approved, you may register for the 50-Hour class held online via NJCU or in-person at one of the participating community colleges.
- CTE Candidates: Check the specific requirements for your Certificate of Eligibility. You must be sure you can meet the requirements for the CE before applying for admission.
Admission into semester one courses:
- Copy of your Certificate of Eligibility (CE).
- Verification of Program Completion from 50-hour Introduction to Teaching class. We accept the 50-hour course for transfer from other programs.
- A contract teaching position (not a teacher assistant or substitute)
- Admission is offered in August, October, January, and March
Transferring from another program:
- We are able to accept 100 hours (6 credits) from another alternate route program or educational degree program. If you have already taken the 50-hour course at another institution, you may transfer that course into our program.