Learn More About How New Pathways Works
The NJCU New Pathways Alternate Route Program provides a process for individuals who already hold a bachelor’s degree (or higher) to become licensed teachers. The program includes 400 hours (24 credits) of education courses that are taken during candidates' first two years of teaching.
Here’s how the program works:
- Candidates apply to the NJDOE for a Certificate of Eligibility. This allows the candidate to get an alternate route teaching job (See below). Click here for information on how to apply for a CE.
- Candidates take a 50-hour Introduction to Teaching Course which includes classroom observations and field experience. Participating community colleges offer in-person classes while NJCU offers the class 100% online.
- Candidates begin teaching in the Provisional Teacher Program and concurrently take an additional 350 hours (24 credits) of alternate route classes.
- Candidates must teach for two years with successful evaluations, complete a year of mentoring, and complete the alternate route classes in order to apply for a Standard Certificate to teach in New Jersey.
Applying for a Certificate of Eligibility
- Submit your application to the New Jersey State Department of Education (NJDOE) for a Certificate of Eligibility (CE). You will apply online.
- Send an official transcript to NJDOE.
- Meet the Basic Skills Requirement. The NJDOE requires a passing score on the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators tests or an exemption. For more information about test, refer to Test Requirements for Certification in NJ.
- Pass the Praxis II Subject Assessment test for the area you plan to teach. For the latest test requirements please visit the NJDOE web site or the Praxis test site.
- For more specific information about the CE application process, you may visit the New Jersey State Department of Education web site.
- The NPTNJ Alternate Route Program is equivalent to 24 graduate credits or 400 hours of instruction over four semesters. The 50-hour, Introduction to Teaching class is offered online at NJCU as well as participating community colleges throughout New Jersey. NJCU offers all four semesters of New Pathways entirely online.
- NON-CREDIT: The cost will be $100 per credit. For example, if the class is a three credit class and the candidate is enrolled as a non-credit student then the cost is $300. For the current academic year the total cost for a non-credit registration would be $2,400. *Subject to change without notice.
- Semester 1 = 7 credits ($700)
- Semester 2 = 6 credits ($600)
- Semester 3 = 6 credits ($600)
- Semester 4 = 5 credits ($500)
- FOR-CREDIT: Graduate tuition is based on the NJCU Board of Trustees and subject to change. The NJCU Masters Programs that accept NPTNJ credits provides additional information. The current tuition rates can be found here.
Admission into the 50-Hour Introduction to Teaching class of requires following:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a cumulative 2.75 GPA (if you graduated prior to September 2016) or a 3.0 GPA (if you graduated after September 2016) or higher from a bachelor’s or master’s degree program.
Send your official transcript to email@example.com.
Once your materials have been approved, you may register for the 50-Hour class held online via NJCU or in-person at one of the participating community colleges.
Admission into semester one courses requires the following:
- Copy of your Certificate of Eligibility (CE).
- Verification of completion from 50-hour Introduction to Teaching class.
- A position working in a classroom
Transferring from another program:
We are able to accept 100 hours (6 credits) from another alternate route program or educational degree program. If you have already taken the 50-hour course at another institution, you can transfer that course into our program.