Employment Information New Students

F-1 students may only work in the United States under certain conditions. The Office of Global Initiatives must authorize all off-campus employment. Do not apply for off-campus employment without contacting us. All on-campus and  off-campus employment requires a social security number.

On-Campus Employment 

An F-1 student may accept employment at the institution he/she is authorized to attend. Students must be enrolled full time and may begin work immediately without approval from Immigration. On-campus employment means work performed on the school's premises or work at an off-campus location which is educationally affiliated with the school.

On-campus work is limited to 20 hours per week while school is in session and may be full time during vacation periods for students who intend to register for the subsequent academic term. Students are not eligible to continue working on-campus after the completion of their program unless they have received an EAD and their OPT dates cover the dates of employment. 

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) 

Students may work off campus in conjunction with academic coursework, such as a co-op, internship, or fieldwork course which is related to the student's program of study. While this course does not have to be required for graduation, the credits from the course must be applicable towards graduation. Status as a student for one academic year is required to qualify for Curricular Practical Training. A specific job offer is also required. Employment may be part time (less than 20 hrs per week) or full time; however, one year of full-time CPT makes a student ineligible for Optional Practical Training. View the 

International Curricular Practical Training form

Optional Practical Training (OPT) 

Students may engage in off-campus employment through Optional Practical Training for one year, full-time, after completion of studies in a job related to their major. Full- or part-time employment is also possible during the program of study; however, this time will be counted against OPT after completion of the academic program. No specific job offer is required for OPT. A work permit (EAD) issued by USCIS is required for OPT. Students can apply for OPT up to 90 days before the program end date OR up to 60 days after the program end date. 

Students must find employment within 90 days to keep their status. They must provide employer information to International Student Services. Employment must be at least 20 hours/ week. Volunteer work can be considered as employment.Students in F-1 status who have been granted Optional Practical Training are required to report the name and address of their OPT location/employer. Students must also report if their employment is interrupted at any point. View the reporting form: 

OPT Reporting Form

Students approved for post-completion OPT may not accrue more than an aggregate of 90 days of unemployment during the entire 12-month OPT period. Students must be engaged in at least 20 hours of OPT activity per week; periods with activity of less than 20 hours per week will be counted toward unemployment accrual.


Employment due to severe economic hardship 

F-1 students who have an unexpected loss of funding may apply for off-campus temporary work authorization. This can be part-time during the school year and full time during the summer. A student must have had F-1 status for one year to qualify. Strong documentation of the circumstances is required. A work permit (EAD) issued by USCIS is required for employment due to severe economic hardship.

The employment authorization is only valid if the student continues to maintain full time status at the institution which has recommended the authorization; if the student leaves the school or transfers, the authorization is voided.

Employment sponsored by international organizations 

F-1 students can request permission to work at international organizations such as the World Bank, the United Nations, or the International Monetary Fund.


Academic Training is work experience related to your studies, such as an internship. J1 visa holders are allowed one month of Academic Training for each month of study. If you studied at NJCU for one semester, you may have four months of Academic Training. Academic Training must be approved by both NJCU and your home university. 

Academic Training must begin within 30 days of the end of your studies. The maximum amount of time for Academic Training is 18 months. You must maintain medical insurance during Academic Training and submit proof of coverage. To apply for Academic Training , submit the following form: 

Academic Training Request form