Transfer Resource Center

Photo of Hepburn hall exterior student exiting walking down stairs

Transfer Resource Center

Welcome to the Transfer Resource Center!

Transferring to a new school can be a challenging experience at the best of times. Our goal at the Transfer Resource Center is to provide services to prospective, new and continuing transfer students to help them as they transition into the NJCU community.

We hope that the information you find on this page will be helpful in answering some of your questions and assist you as you join our family here at NJCU. We're excited to have you here!





Frequently Asked Questions

Have a question? We have an answer.

Didn't find the answer to your question here? Have more questions? Contact us as 201-200-2056 or

Generally, NJCU accepts college-level courses (100 level or higher) earned with a minimum grade of a C (2.0) from regionally accredited institutions in the United States.

Courses taken as a pass/fail must be college-level and proven to be equivalent to a C (2.0) or higher on a 4.0 scale.

Transcripts are evaluated course by course.

Blanket credit satisfies the general education program here at NJCU. It is awarded to AA and AS degrees from colleges in the State of New Jersey and Bachelor degrees in the United States. Effective Fall 2019: AA and AS degrees from out-of-state regionally accredited institutions will also be granted blanket credit. Blanket credit does not fulfill courses needed as a prerequisite for major requirements.

NJCU can accept a maximum of 60 credits from two-year schools and 90 combined credits from two-year and four-year schools.

In most cases, this happens when the transcript that was originally submitted to the TRC does not reflect the degree. Don't worry, this is an easy fix. Just request an updated official transcript from your former school be sent to:

New Jersey City University
Transfer Resource Center
2039 John F. Kennedy Blvd
Hepburn Hall 206
Jersey City, NJ 07305

You can send e-transcripts to
Once we receive the updated transcript with your degree, we will update your evaluation and send on the information to the Registrars office to be posted.

College Level Examination Programs (CLEP) credit is awarded for exams passed with a score of 50 or above; it depends on the exam.

Credit is awarded for AP exams passed with a score of 3 or above. Students must submit official test scores for an evaluation to be completed. 

Yes, these scores may be reviewed for transfer credit. All NYU Language Proficiency Exam score reports must be sent directly to

Yes, NJCU awards credits for passing scores on the Cambridge International, DSST, and IB-Higher Level. For further information, please check their websites.

Students are required to submit a Joint Services transcript, or Form DD295, DD214. Credits allowed will be based on recommendations of the American Council on Education (ACE) and National College Credit Recommendation Services (National CCRS, formerly National PONSI) and will correspond to subject areas offered at the University.

Students looking to receive credit for life experience or certificate completion must provide certificates (CPA, Fire Academy, EMT, Police Academy, etc.) and documents to the Transfer Resource Center. These documents will be sent to the appropriate departments and/or dean’s office for assessment.

The credit transfer process for graduate students is different in that approval is at the discretion of the academic department to which you are admitted; not the Transfer Resource Center. Transfer of graduate credits will only be considered once you: 1) are matriculated in a graduate degree program at NJCU and 2) submit the Graduate Credit Transfer Form in its entirety. Once your academic department reviews your request, they will then submit their approval/disapproval of transfer credits to the Transfer Resource Center and you will be notified.

A student may be eligible to take a course or courses outside of the institution while attending NJCU upon approval from the Transfer Resource Center in addition to your Major’s Department Chair or the Director of General Education. The Transfer Resource Center will confirm 1) if you are eligible for additional transfer credits, 2) if the institution you are requesting to attend is regionally accredited, and 3) if the course you are requesting to take is the correct direct equivalent you are seeking to satisfy. Please see the Request to Enroll for a Course at Another Institution and send it to the Transfer Resource Center with your information.

Request to Enroll For Course(s) at Another Institution

Failure to request permission prior to enrolling at another institution may result in the credits not being accepted.

Transfer Resource Center Mission

The Transfer Resource Center is committed to serving transfer students by helping them prepare for rewarding academic experiences, easing their transition to New Jersey City University and promoting their progress toward timely graduation by:

  • Providing transcript evaluations and course articulation services
  • Advocating and assisting in their transition to the university community
  • Connecting them to student-centered services and academic departments for assistance with admissions, advising, registration and academic support services
  • Spotlighting and celebrating academic excellence and university community involvement

Contact Us


Dr. Michael Arbitblit,
Assistant Registrar – Transfer/Manager for Transfer Resource Center