Black Alumni, Administrators, Faculty, Students And Staff Organization
The Black Alumni, Administrators, Faculty, Students & Staff Organization (BAAFSSO) arose out of an expressed need for a more comprehensive representation of Blacks at New Jersey City University. Organizational meetings were held in the Fall of 1975 and the following goals were established:
- To create a viable vehicle through which the campus's Black community could come together.
- To communicate ideas emanating from diverse areas and disciplines.
- To act on specific issues to improve the conditions of Blacks on campus.
- To eradicate inequities based upon racial and sexual discrimination.
- To facilitate networking.
The principal founders of BAAFSSO were the late Dr. Lee Hagan, Phil Littlejohn, Samuel McGhee, the late John Raines, Rosetta Rutledge, Sandra Stohoff, and Ann Tisdale. Diverse leadership has characterized the organization’s strength, providing a rich cross-fertilization of ideas, opinions and perceptions. Sandra Stothoff, former secretary for the Dean of Arts and Sciences, and Melvin Gregory, former counselor in the Opportunity Scholarship Program, have the distinction of serving as first leaders.
Dr. Jennifer Jones, Director of Academic Career Planning & Placement; Dr. Lee Hagan, former Chairperson of the African/Afro-American Studies Program; Louis Diaz, Director of College Bound Program; Gayle R. Ford, Assistant to the President; Dr. Shirley Williams, Professor of Criminal Justice; Gloria Boseman, Professor of Nursing; Carl B. Dixon, former Associate Registrar; Dan Wiley, former Director of the Lee Hagan Africana Studies Center; Dr. Pargellan McCall, former Director of Multicultural Center; Adele Douglas, Associate Director of Human Resources; Naomi Wright, Assistant Director of the University Advisement Center; Karen Morgan, Professor of Mathematics; Amani Jennings, Assistant Dean of Students; Dr. Antoinette Ellis-Williams, Director of the Lee Hagan Africana Studies Center, Leah Jackson, Academic Advisor, and Carla Denny-Johnson, also served as facilitators.
- BAAFSSO Salute to Graduates 2019 - Overcoming Borders and Building Bridges to the Future (See photos)
- BAAFSSO's 40th Anniversary Celebration, Beyond the 40th: A Legacy of Courage, A Commitment to Action (photos)
Venida Rodman, President
Dominique Smith, Vice President
Melissa Gutzmore, Corresponding Secretary
Carla Denny-Johnson, Treasurer
Harold Daniels III, Student Representative
Monica Almonor, ex-officio
Like us on Facebook!
Follow us on Twitter!