Frequently Asked Questions About Campus Life

Photo of students on tablet

Frequently Asked Questions About Campus Life


Extended Absence Questions

Q: How long can I be absent from my classes?

A: It depends on your circumstance. Depending on the issue, usually students are absent from classes for three days. After being absent for three days, students should notify the Office of the Dean of Students with regard to their circumstances .

Q: If I've notified the Office of the Dean of Students, should I still notify my professors?

A: Yes. It is advisable that you inform your professors of the circumstances as soon as possible. You'll need to have a discussion with them anyway to discuss what coursework you'll miss that needs to be made up. The Office of the Dean of Students will send a letter notifying your instructors of the expected absence, but it is your responsibility to ensure that you have made arrangements to complete the coursework.

Q: How do I withdraw from classes?

A: You may drop classes during the add/drop period as specified through the Registrar's Office. Once the add/drop period is over, you may withdraw from classes during the withdrawal period by applying for a withdrawal through the Registrar's Office. There are special withdrawal procedures for athletes and other students who participate in a grant-funded program (e.g., TLC, OSP).

Q: If I want to withdraw from classes due to a medical issue, what should I do?

A: The Director of Counseling and Psychological Services oversees medical withdrawals. You will need to contact that office directly at 201-200-3165, speak with the director and provide him/her with the necessary documentation confirming your medical condition. The Director of Counseling & Psychological Services will then make a determination as to whether your request is accepted or denied.

Academic Probation/Dismissal Questions

Q: If I am on academic probation, what grades do I need to be in good academic standing with the university?

A: Please refer to the Academic Standards Policy (link to academic standards). It outlines the minimum grade point average(s) needed with regard to the number of credit hours attempted.

Q: If I am academically suspended from the University, may I appeal the decision?

A: If your letter indicates that you are academically suspended from the University, you may write an appeal letter by the deadline specified in your suspension letter. If your letter indicates that you have been academically dismissed from the University, you are not eligible for an appeal as a second dismissal is a final dismissal from the University.

Q: What is the academic appeals process?

A: A student who is academically suspended from the University for the first time will receive a letter of notification regarding the suspsenion. The suspension letter will identify deadline dates for appeals as well as specify when the Academic Appeals Committee will meet to review the transcripts and discuss the appeal letters. Once an appeal letter is submitted by the specified deadline, the student is in the appeals process. After the committee meets to discuss the appeals, they make a recommendation to the Dean of Students as to which students should be reinstated and which students should be denied reinstatement. The Dean considers the committee's recommendation and makes a final decision. The students are notified in writing of the final decision.

Q: If my appeal is denied and I am not reinstated, what does that mean?

A: You must wait one, full academic year (two semesters, not including summer sessions) before reapplying for admission to the university.

Judicial Procedures Questions

Q: How do I file a complaint?

A: You can visit the office of the Dean of Students to file a formal, written complaint and/or report a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can also download the Incident Report Form and mail it to the Office of the Dean of Students. In addition, you have the option of completing the report online and emailing it to . Please be advised that if you are filing a complaint against a professor regarding a grade, those complaints must be forwarded to the department/college in which the professor is an instructor. For example, if a student received an "F" in Political Science 101, and wanted to appeal the grade, the student should speak with the professor first. If s/he cannot reach an acceptable agreement with the professor and would like to continue the appeal, the student must make an appointment to see the Chairperson of the Department. If satisfaction is not reached at this level, the student must go to the appropriate Dean, which in this case, is the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences.

Q: If a complaint is filed against me, what should I do?

A: You should submit a written statement to the Dean of Students and wait until the administrative assistant calls to schedule an appointment for you to meet with a representative from the Office of the Dean of Students.

Q: What is a sanction and what is the purpose of sanctioning students who have violated the Code of Conduct?

A: At New Jersey City University, we aim to promote civility, respect, and integrity, provide a safe environment for the university community, and address behaviors that contradict the expectations and philosophies of NJCU. Sanctions are the outcomes or consequences resulting from a violation in which a student is found responsible for violating the Code of Conduct. The purpose of sanctions is to provide students with an opportunity to learn from their experience, provide restitution (in some cases) and bring greater awareness of the impact of choices on themselves, others, and the campus community.

Q: If I am accused of violating the Code of Conduct, will my parents be notified?

A: All disciplinary files are protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). New Jersey City University does not disclose information regarding disciplinary hearings/situations with parents/guardians, lawyers or other third party members without your written permission to do so. The University has the right to inform appropriate university personnel about the violation and the sanction(s) as it relates to the personnel's administrative function at the university

Q: If I am accused of violating the code of conduct, will anything appear on my transcripts due to this incident?

A: Individual student disciplinary records are kept confidential and disciplinary information does not appear on the academic transcript. However, disciplinary records are a part of a student's record, should such a file be requested by authorities. (i.e., subpoena).

Student Leadership Questions

Q: How can I become a student leader?

A: There are many opportunities for student leadership on campus. You may be interested in joining a club and/or organization with the Student Government Organization. Also, many committees need student participation. In addition, if you are a freshman, you can apply for the Emerging Leaders Program. If you are Junior, there's College Leadership New Jersey, and the list goes on and on! There are many other opportunities for you at NJCU! If you'd like more information, please contact our office at 201-200-3525 or via email at , for a list of other possible leadership opportunities.

General Questions

Q : I want to get a state job (i.e., police officer), but the employer requests academic and disciplinary information from the Dean of Students. What should I do?

A: You must sign a waiver and give it to the employer who will request information from the Dean of Students. The employer must attach the waiver to the request in order to obtain the information.

If you don't see a question listed that you'd like to know the answer to, please call the Office of the Dean of Students at 201-200-3525 or visit us at the Business Development Incubator, 285 West Side Avenue, Room 254.