Instructional Continuity: Tips for Continuing Instruction at NJCU
This document is a starting point for all NJCU instructors on what to do in order to continue instruction in the event of an emergency that causes the campus to close.
The following are methods by which NJCU instructors will be able to communicate and continue providing instruction to students in the event of an interruption to our typical and physical access to the campus. We have also provided a list of support services, materials, and other helpful information that are and will be available to all NJCU instructors.
During a period of campus interruption instructors are asked to ensure that students are still meeting the required seat time for the course. Online courses can be continued to be taught as normal. However, face-to-face and blended courses must find ways to replace the physical presence in the classroom.
Instructors who need assistance are asked to please reach out to the Department of Online Learning at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 201-200-3449. Contact the Department of IT for assistance with Blackboard or other technical support issues.
The Department of Online Learning and the Department of Information Technology recommends the following to continue instruction:
Delivery of course materials:
- NJCU’s learning management system Blackboard can be used to upload course materials, readings, and directions to students. All courses at NJCU have a Blackboard course available at https://blackboard.njcu.edu
- Students are enrolled in a Cyberprimer course in Blackboard that features tutorials on using Blackboard.
- Instructors can use Blackboard Collaborate to host live synchronous discussions with students. Instructors can create a room and share their audio, video, and computer desktop to facilitate lectures or discussions with the class. Sessions can be recorded and shared for later viewing.
- Zoom is another live synchronous as well as asynchronous tool that is available to all Faculty, Staff and Students.
- Panopto is a desktop recording tool that allows instructors to record their desktop with audio or video and upload it to a cloud-based server. Instructors can embed their videos in Blackboard to share among their class.
- Get started using Panopto by attending training. Submit a request here. (Lecture Capturing using Panopto)
- Outside of NJCU solutions there are simple tools that instructors can use to record their instruction. Recording basic videos through their smartphone or tablet, narrate using the voice over tool in PowerPoint, or use YouTube to upload video materials.
- Instructors should use Blackboard to create assignments or deploy exams. Blackboard has tools that are available to both collect assignments and to provide grading.
- Instructors can use Qualtrics to create surveys, online forms, and quizzes.
Interacting with students:
- Use the Blackboard announcement tool to send announcements to your class.
- Use GothicNet to easily send emails to all students in your class. Here are instructions:
- Instructors should log into GothicNet.
- Step 1- After logging into GothicNet, navigate to the Faculty Homepage.
- Step 2 – Select Faculty Center tile and access your class roster to notify all students in your class.
- Connect with students using the NJCUmobile app. (Available for iOS and Android)
- Access your courses in Blackboard Mobile Learn.
- Obtain NJCU emergency information.
- Stay up to date on campus happenings and athletic events and scores.
- Search the NJCU Library catalog.
- and much more.
- Stay in contact with students using NJCU Email.
- Create discussions in Blackboard for student-to-student and instructor-to-student interactions.