Information for Enrolled Students
Information for Enrolled Students
Now that you are enrolled, we know that you are anxious to get started with your online course. The information below describes recommended steps for accessing your course for the first time.
Log In Information for Blackboard Learn 9.1
Access to your online, blended or web-enhanced course(s) will be available after 12:00 noon on the first official day of the semester. Although it is not necessary for all students to log in simultaneously at 12:00, we do recommend that you access your online course at some time on the first day of the semester so that you may consult the syllabus and assignments that may have been posted by your professor.
We recommend that you complete the CyberPrimer, our online tutorial, before logging into your course for the first time. The CyberPrimer will be available to you two weeks before the official start of the semester. You may access the CyberPrimer by following the instructions below for logging into your course. Please note: While the CyberPrimer is available, your course(s) will not be accessible until the first official day of the semester.
Blackboard Learn 9.1
All online, blended, and web-enhanced courses at New Jersey City University will utilize the Blackboard Learn 9.1 Learning Management System. This upgraded version of the software has a number of enhancements designed to enrich the teaching and learning experience for faculty and students.
Follow the steps below to log into Blackboard Learn 9.1:
- Use your Web browser (e.g., Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Apple Safari, etc.) to locate the following URL: http://blackboard.njcu.edu
- Type in your GothicNet ID in the User name field, and your GothicNet password in the Password field, and click the OK button. Note: This is the ID and password you use to access the NJCU GothicNet portal to register for classes, check your grades, or access other campus information.
- All courses in which you are enrolled in will appear in the My Courses channel of your My Web Courses page inside Blackboard. To enter a course, click on its name.
If your online course requires a textbook, you may purchase it at the New Jersey City University Campus Bookstore located on the first floor of the Gilligan Student Union Building on the NJCU Campus. You may also purchase your textbook through the bookstore's website at: http://njcu.bncollege.com. The phone number of the bookstore is: 201-200-3503.
Online students may also wish to browse major online bookstores such as Amazon and Barnes & Noble for textbooks and recommended course readings.
If your professor has adopted publisher-prepared content for your course, you may need an access key (in addition to your user name and password) when you enter your course for the first time. Access keys are usually bundled with the textbook for your course - so please use care in making sure you purchase the correct text for your course. The access key is typically a series of letters and numbers and each access key can only be entered once (i.e., you cannot use another student's access key). If you purchased a used textbook, you may need to purchase the access key separately via the publisher's website.
Notice of Student Responsibility & Course Access Duration
Student access to online courses is available only during the official stated semester/session as indicated by the University's academic calendar. It is the student's responsibility to retain copies of his/her own work and/or correspondence posted to online courses for any future reference. All course sites, including content, are routinely removed from NJCU servers at the conclusion of each semester/session.
Students and instructors that are looking for technical support with Blackboard and related tools are asked to first contact the NJCU IT Help Desk.
Users may also fill out the Blackboard Online Course Support form to place a ticket with the IT Help Desk that will be answered by IT or Online Learning.
General inquiries about online support or questions can be emailed to email@example.com
During business hours, you may also call the IT Help Desk at 201-200-4357 for assistance.
Online Course Schedules
To see a list of available online courses, use the University's Online Search Feature to search the GothicNet Portal for the most up-to-date listing of online course offerings in a specific semester. The Search feature is located on the NJCU Registrar's site at https://www.njcu.edu/registrar/registration
Follow the steps below to search for online courses after you click the Search For Classes button:
- Use the drop down menu to select the term in which you are interested
- Leave the Course Subject field blank if you wish to search for all online courses
- Leave the Course Number field blank
- Use the drop down menu to select your desired Course Career
- You may check or uncheck the box to view all courses or only those that remain open for enrollment
- Click on the Green Arrow at the bottom of the page that appears to the left of Additional Search Criteria
- Select Online Course as Location
- Click on Search