About the Accelerated BSN
The Accelerated B.S.N. program is an innovative educational opportunity for college graduates that allow them to transition into entry level clinical practice in only twelve months. Full-time study is required during this period.
Interested individuals with a bachelor's degree, who have completed the required prerequisite courses, are invited to apply to the program. Following admission and successful completion of the pre-licensure phase, students will be awarded a B.S.N. degree and are eligible to take the required National Council of Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN®).
New Jersey City University's Accelerated BSN program is offered at two convenient locations; Jersey City starting in September of each year, and Fort Monmouth starting in May of each year.
Program tuition rates per semester (3 semesters total) can be found on the Office of Student Accounts (Bursars Office) webpage.
Note: In addition to any applicable tuition and/or fees, students in the Accelerated BSN program should expect to pay approximately $2,500 for required uniforms, books and nursing equipment. To review
Accelerated B.S.N. curriculum and course descriptions can be found in our course catalog.
ABSN PROGRAM DEADLINE & ADMISSION CRITERIA MODIFICATION ANNOUNCEMENT
The application deadline for the Accelerated Nursing program has been extended to March 20, 2023.
Modifications to the admission criteria (Pre-requisite requirements and deadlines, HESI Exam deadline and policy, BA/BS requirement deadlines, etc.) for the 2023 ABSN program can be reviewed on the ABSN program webpage.
New admission into the NJCU nursing programs offered at Ft. Monmouth are temporarily on hold.
NJCU is currently conducting program assessments of our academic offerings which includes programs offered at our Ft. Monmouth campus. NJCU welcomes interested applicants for acceptance into our nursing programs offered on our Jersey City main campus.
Upon completion of the academic assessments, NJCU will announce the final outcomes regarding continuation of the nursing programs at Ft. Monmouth. We will provide updates as they become available. Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused you as an interested applicant.
Program Admission Requirements
The following is a list of general admission requirements for the 2023 Accelerated BSN program.
- Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university (degree must be conferred by application deadline)
- Applicants completing prerequisite courses or their BA/BS degree will be conditionally accepted. Official transcripts reflecting completion of pending prerequisite courses and/or a BA/BS degree must be submitted by June 15, 2023
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 Scale (Preferred, but NOT required) Applicants with a GPA below a 3.0 are welcome to apply
- Official transcripts from all colleges or universities where BA/BS awarded and pre-requisites completed and grades posted to transcript(s)
- Two recommendations (from professor, supervisor, or professional colleague) completed electronically via NursingCAS
- Current Resume
- Admission essay (See NJCU NursingCAS custom webpage for Essay Questions)
- A cumulative score of 80% on the standardized Health Education Systems, Inc. (HESI) exam
- Completion of the following prerequisite classes in the United States within the past 10 years
- Human Anatomy & Physiology I (Lab component required)
- Human Anatomy & Physiology II (Lab component required)
- Microbiology (Lab component required)
- Statistics (any discipline)
- Developmental Psychology (General Psychology and Intro to Psychology do not meet the requirement)
- A maximum of TWO pre-requisite courses may be in progress when applying to the program by the March 20th deadline (Anatomy & Physiology I, Anatomy & Physiology II, Microbiology, Statistics and Developmental Lifespan). Official transcripts reflecting completion of pending prerequisite courses graded after the March 20th deadline must be submitted by June 15, 2023
This program has the capacity to fill approximately 60 available seats at the Jersey City campus and 30 seats at the NJCU at the Fort Monmouth campus. A waiting list is created only when there are more qualified applicants than seats available. If no vacancies become available, applicants on the waiting list must re-apply the following year.
How to Apply
Access to apply for the NJCU Accelerated BSN Program will be available through NursingCAS 3.0. during the application cycle. NursingCAS is the online, centralized application service for nursing schools. NursingCAS processes your application and transcripts on behalf of the university.
PLEASE DO NOT APPLY DIRECTLY TO NJCU. YOUR APPLICATION WILL NOT BE PROCESSED. ALL APPLICATION MATERIALS MUST BE SUBMITTED VIA NURSINGCAS 3.0.
- Select “Apply” to initiate an application.
- Select “Create Account” and complete the required fields.
Please follow the guidelines for New Jersey City University’s requirements. Your application will not be considered until ALL elements listed in Personal Information, Academic History, Supporting Information and Program Materials are completed and submitted.
Application Deadlines for 2023 Admission
- March 20th, 2023 for Jersey City Campus
- Fort Monmouth Campus is NOT accepting applications for 2023 admission. We encourage our students to apply to our Jersey City campus.
Helpful Hints With NURSINGCAS 3.0
- Do not wait until the final day to apply. The application takes time to complete.
- Gather information ahead of time to help with completion of your application:
- Name, Title, and Email addresses for Reference Writers for recommendations.
- Official transcripts for all schools attended to complete pre-requisite courses.
- Allow up to two weeks for receipt of official transcripts
- Type your essay in a word file and copy/paste in the “Personal Statement” section rather than typing directly in this section. There is a 5000 character limit, which is approximately 700 words. Characters include spaces, carriage returns/new lines, numbers, letters, etc.
- File formats preferred for resume is an MS Word file (.doc, .docx), Rich Text Format (.rtf) or Portable Document Format (.pdf)
- If your resume is password protected, please delete this protection to upload the file. It will not be viewable if it is a password-protected file.
- Remember to review your application prior to saving and/or submission.
- Track the status of your application at www.nursingcas.org
Information for Foreign Graduates
- WES/ECE Evaluations for foreign graduates may take longer to be completed before they can be sent to NursingCAS 3.0. Please request your evaluation as soon as possible to avoid delays.
- Please be sure the evaluation includes the U.S. degree equivalency and GPA.
CLEP Examination Submission Instructions
NursingCAS does not accept CLEP scores, therefore, an official report reflecting an ACE score of 50 or higher must be sent directly to the Nursing Department.
New Jersey City University
Nursing Department, Rossey 405
2039 John F. Kennedy Blvd
Jersey City, NJ 07305
HESI Admission Assessment (A2)
Applicants can complete the HESI admission exam TWICE per admission cycle. HESI Admission exam scores with a cumulative average of 80% from a previous admission cycle, completed within the following period: October 1, 2020-August 30, 2022, will be accepted.
You may submit your application before taking the HESI Admission Assessment, which is required of all applicants.
The exam covers content related to Math, English and Sciences; NJCU does not test students on chemistry or physics content.
- TEST DEADLINE: MARCH 15TH, 2023
The HESI Admission Assessment Exam Registration period is now open. Two Department ID’s (see exam instructions below for department ID) have been created for each location. Applicants must follow the registration instructions specific to their campus of interest (Fort Monmouth or Jersey City). Questions and inquiries regarding registration issues, processing time, and follow-up must be directed to the Elsevier Customer Service Department. Registration instructions, Department ID number, and Elsevier Customer Service contact information can be retrieved from the links below.
Applicants are encouraged to schedule an appointment to complete the admission exam several weeks before the application deadline. Extensions will not be granted for late registration, personal hardship or weather-related delays.
Please note: Exam scores are retrieved directly from Elsevier at the close of the deadline, therefore, applicants are NOT required to send exam scores to NursingCAS or the Nursing Department.
SECOND-TIME TEST TAKERS
Applicants attempting to take the HESI exam a second time will need to select "HESI Admission Exam V2" from the drop-down menu during registration.
Candidates that are currently registered and would like to schedule their exam test date within the extended admission cycle period (February 2, 2023- March 15, 2023) will need to contact Elsevier to extend their eligibility to the new deadline.
If you experience any registration/scheduling issues, please contact Elsevier: 1-800-222-9570
Prospective Students Re-Applying to the Accelerated BSN Program
You will be required to re-apply using NursingCAS 3.0. All requirements of NursingCAS, including application fee and transcript processing must be met. NJCU will not be able to provide any information on your behalf to NursingCAS 3.0. Applicants reapplying must re-take the HESI Admission Assessment exam.
To access a more detailed overview of program admission requirements, please review the department custom homepage accessible via NursingCAS.