NJCU Computer Science students can access a variety of dedicated resources that will enhance and support their academic experience, help strengthen academic performance, and allow for application of coursework in the real world.
The importance of a well supported educational experience is instrumental to the NJCU Computer Science student's success and eventual transition to the professional world or to advanced study at the masters or doctoral level.
Microsoft Developers Network Academic Alliance Program
MSDNAA is a yearly subscription that allows eligible departments of academic institutions to use Microsoft operating systems, servers, applications and development tools in their labs for academic purposes.
MSDNAA also allows the distribution of software to a number of students and faculty for home use. Product downloads are wrapped into encrypted containers and users will receive unlock keys "transparently‚Äù at the initiation of a download via the ELMS site. The key is only distributed when the request comes from the ELMS site. Without the key the user can't open the download and run the setup.
Funding for Math & Science Majors
New Jersey City University has a variety of programs offering financial support for math and science majors:
The Garden State-Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation;
- NJCU is a member of a 7-University National Science Foundation (NSF) consortium in northern New Jersey: The Garden State - Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation (GS-LSAMP). The goal of LSAMP is to recruit, retain, and graduate increased numbers of STEM professionals, especially those from under-represented minorities, including African- and Hispanic-Americans and women.
The Robert Noyce Math and Science Teacher Fellowship Program at NJCU;
- NJCU has secured an NSF Robert Noyce Fellowship grant of nearly $1.5 million to recruit and financially support 20 candidates in a fast-track (1-year) Master of Arts in STEM Teaching program. The successful candidate will have a Baccalaureate degree and STEM training in the field in which (s)he will teach.
USDA - Urban Environmental Science Curriculum;
- NJCU will partner with Conserve Wildlife Foundation of New Jersey (CWF) and the New Jersey Dept. of Environmental Protection (NJDEP) under the sponsorship of the USDA's Natural Resource Conservation Services (NRCS) to provide 24 student with internships and research experiences, and 1-2 students with full financial support to Environmental Science graduate school.
The New Jersey Space Grant Consortium;
- NJCU has joined forces with several NJ universities on a NASA funded initiative to provide support to students conducting research in NASA or STEM initiatives.
- Opportunities for transfer students to participate in mentored research and scientific meetings as well as in tutoring.
Department of Education Title V
- Opportunities for outstanding Mathematics majors to work as tutors.
Additional grants and research opportunities
- Students who plan to pursue graduate studies should also consider submitting their credentials to the Council on Undergraduate Research, which matches undergraduate students with research experience and interests with graduate schools.