What is a Changebuilder?
NJCU is a “Changebuilder” campus and has committed to creating opportunities for hundreds of new college volunteers, with each student volunteering on community projects for 40-100 hours per year. This project will result in between 10,000 and 50,000 hours of high quality, project-focused volunteer time. The Changebuilder Program will focus on the counties surrounding New Jersey City University. Such as Passaic, Essex, Bergen, Hudson, and Union counties. Opportunities offered to students will take service learning, experiential philanthropy and community-based research for non-profits and local government and working together to tackle issues of inequality.
Changebuilders will engage in:
- Team-building/Leadership exercises
- Group discussions/problem solving
- Personal reflection activities
- Community service and civic engagement opportunities
Changebuilder Program Requirements
- Complete the application using the following link: Changebuilder Application
- Have at least a 2.75 GPA or have an interest in community engagement.
- Participate in 40hrs/100hrs of community service initiatives
Benefits of being a Changebuilder
- Earning a Changebuilder Certificate and possibly qualifying to be a Changebuilder Scholar ($1000 scholarship)
- Developing your leadership style and how to apply it to civic engagement
- Enhancing your leadership and communication skills
- Making new friends
- Networking with faculty, staff, and other students
- Building NJCU Pride
- Involvement with the community and social change projects