College of Education Praxis CORE Information
Why do I need to take the CORE?
On June 4, 2014, the State Board of Education adopted new regulations for teacher preparation program entry and teacher certification. The Praxis® Core Academic Skills for Educators (CORE) tests measure academic skills in reading, writing and mathematics. They were designed to provide comprehensive assessments of candidates entering teacher preparation programs.
Does everyone need the Core?
Students who demonstrate a score on the SAT, ACT or GRE at or above the 50th percentile for the year in which the exam was taken do not need to take the Praxis Core.
Students may mix and match scores from separate tests to request exemption from any of the three sections of the Praxis Core:
- To be exempt from the Praxis Core Reading, students may use qualifying scores from the SAT Verbal or Reading, ACT English, or GRE Verbal
- To be exempt from the Praxis Core Writing, students may use qualifying scores from the SAT Verbal or Reading & Writing, ACT English, or GRE Verbal
- To be exempt from the Praxis Core Math, students may use qualifying scores from the SAT Math, ACT Math, or GRE Quantitative
If you believe you are exempt from taking any section of the Praxis Core because of qualifying SAT, ACT, or GRE scores, you will need to provide a score report and complete a Confirmation of Praxis Core Exemption form.
When should I take the CORE?
Students who have completed EC1 and EC2 and Math 140 and 215 should take the CORE. Do not wait too long; students cannot continue into phase II education coursework until they have passed all sections of the core.
What is the CORE Test?
It’s an ETS test administered electronically at testing sites throughout New Jersey and New York. There are three separate sections; Reading (#5713) Writing (#5723) and Math (#5733).
A reduced test fee is available when the Core combined test is selected at the time of registration. If you register for the combined test, use test code (#5752).
If test-takers fail to pass one part of the test, they may re-test on that part alone. Allow approximately 5 hours if taking the combined tests on the same day.
Northern NJ Testing Centers
KnM Testing Center
KnM Testing Center
New York City sites are accessible by public transportation
How do I register?
You must register online, go to praxis registration
Each test is scheduled individually, based on availability.
A limited number of fee waivers are available for enrolled undergraduate or graduate students who meet all eligibility requirements.
To be considered for a fee waiver for a test, submit a completed Fee Waiver Request form by the appropriate deadline listed on the form. All fee waiver requests are processed on a first-come, first-served basis. You are eligible for a fee waiver only once during a testing year. If you qualify for a fee waiver, the test fees for up to three Core Academic Skills for Educators tests or one Praxis Subject Assessment may be waived.
ETS is committed to serving test takers with disabilities and health-related needs by providing services and reasonable accommodations that are appropriate given the purpose of the test. Testing accommodations are available for test takers who meet ETS requirements. If you are requesting testing accommodations, you must register by mail through ETS and have your accommodations approved prior to testing.
If Your Primary Language Is Not English (PLNE)
Praxis tests are only given in English. If you are a test taker whose primary language is not English (PLNE), you may be eligible for extended testing time. Test takers who meet ETS requirements will be allowed 50 percent additional testing time. Once PLNE accommodations are approved, test changes and/or additions, or test center changes, are not permitted. PLNE accommodations are not offered for language tests
- Passing scores on the tests are • Math 150 • Reading 156 • Writing 162
- If you test in New Jersey, your score report will be sent automatically to the New Jersey Department of Education.
- If you test outside of New Jersey, select the New Jersey Department of Education (state code 7666) as a score recipient when you register or on an additional score report request.
- Up to four free score recipients may be selected at the time of registration. In order for your attending institution (college or university where you received training that most closely relates to the test(s) you are taking) to receive a copy of your score report, you MUST list the institution as a score recipient.
Students can take the following courses to meet education requirements and prepare for the CORE tests.
- LTED 160 – Languages of Power and Social Justice (Gen Ed)
- LTED 305 – Literacy Workshop for Pre-service Teachers (elective recommended for students who need extensive support with reading and writing)
- MATH 140 – Statistics (Gen Ed)
- MATH 215 - Problem Solving in Math (Gen Ed)
- Mometrix Database and Learning Express
- Praxis study guides are available at the Circulation Desk (1st floor) for in-house use.
- Praxis Core For Dummies, with Online Practice Tests 1st Edition by Carla Kirkland (Author), Chan Cleveland ISBN-13: 978-1118532805 ISBN-10: 1118532805
- Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators Tests: Book + Online (PRAXIS Teacher Certification Test Prep) Pap/Psc Edition; by Dr. Julie O'Connell D. Litt. (Author), Ms. Sandra Rush M.A. ISBN-13: 978-0738611808 ISBN-10: 0738611808
- Praxis: Core Academic Skills for Educators: (5712, 5722, 5732) by LLC LearningExpress ISBN-13: 978-1576859780 ISBN-10: 1576859789
- Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators Exam Secrets Study Guide: Praxis Test Review for the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators Tests
- Barron's PRAXIS CORE EXAMS: Core Academic Skills for Educators Csm Edition, by Robert D. Postman Ed. D ISBN-13: 978-1438005744 ISBN-10: 1438005741
HUB, Centralized Tutoring Center
One-on-one and group tutoring sessions have been designed to assist education students preparing for the Praxis Core. Topics include reading, writing, mathematics, and helpful tips on taking timed examinations. Students who have taken practice tests are encouraged to bring their work. Please visit the Hub’s reception desk to schedule an appointment or develop a customized tutoring plan. The Hub is located in Guarini Library, 1st floor just outside of Dunkin’ Donuts. Email: email@example.com, Reception desk: 201-200-3513.