Visiting Exchange Students
Visiting Exchange Students
NJCU has exchange agreements with many universities around the world. Students from our partner universities who wish to come to NJCU as visiting students should take the following steps:
- Meet with your home university advisor to confirm that you are eligible to participate in an exchange.
- Once confirmed, prepare the online Exchange Student Data Form. Attach your transcript to the application
- Review our English proficiency requirements and submit your English test scores
- Visiting students must document sufficient funds to cover living and personal expenses during their program of study at New Jersey City University.
Download and fill out the Visiting Student Financial Support Form (pdf) and submit proof of financial support by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Approximate costs for one semester:
Room and Board $8,000
Books and personal expenses $2,000
There are additional requirements for Graduate visiting students
- Acceptance is at the discretion of the host academic department
- NJCU enrollment can only be for one semester, taking no more than 12 credits
- On-line classes are limited; students must take at least six credits of face to face or hyflex classes
- Students must have completed at least one semester in the home school. Home school administration must confirm the student has a Bachelor’s degree and is currently enrolled in good standing in the home school graduate program.
- Students must submit an English Proficiency test score, undergraduate and graduate transcripts, and list of classes in progress.
- Syllabi and course descriptions of all graduate courses taken and in progress must be provided
- All classes requested by the student must be approved by an NJCU graduate advisor
Housing: All visiting students are required to live in university housing. Please see our Housing page for more information on costs and options.
Insurance Requirement: Exchange Visitors with J-1 visas are required to have health insurance that meets standards set out by the US State Department for the duration of their visit to the United States. An exchange visitor's program will be terminated if they do not maintain insurance.
Students are required to purchase NJCU international student insurance. The approximate cost is $550.00 per semester. NJCU insurance may be waived only if a visiting student has insurance that meets the following requirements:
- Insurance must have a local US network of health care providers that accept the coverage;
- Coverage must be at least $100,000 per accident or illness;
- Repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000;
- Medical evacuation coverage in the amount of $50,000; and
- Deductibles not to exceed $500 per accident or illness.
- Zero coinsurance for in-network providers.
After you submit your application and documents, we will contact you with more information about receiving your visa documents, choosing classes, applying for housing, and submitting health and medical forms.
Please email email@example.com if you have any questions.