Goals of Study Abroad
Study Abroad Goals
New Jersey City University encourages all students to participate in an international experience. Study Abroad is often described as a "life changing experience" by those who participate in short-term programs or semester abroad, but how can one quantify the experience? What are the goals of such experiences? NJCU promotes international experiences as opportunities for participants to develop in the following areas:
- Ability to synthesize academic concepts with real world phenomena
- Gain an international perspective on academic content
Social and Emotional Development
- Build independence
- Develop empathy
- Develop an increased tolerance for ambiguity
- Adapt effectively to cross-cultural settings
- Develop awareness of the social, political and economic state of the host community
- Increase awareness of realities of daily life outside of the U.S.
- Increase tolerance for living in regions of the world that have different physical environments
- Demonstrate awareness of one's own cultural values and biases and how these impact one's ability to interact with others.
- Communicate effectively with diverse individuals and groups.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the world-view of the local culture on a variety of issues
- Articulate an understanding of what it means to be an outsider
- Develop or improve language competency
- Engage with others in the host language
- Pursue continuous global learning
- Explore international opportunities after returning home
- Apply knowledge from abroad after returning home