School of Business Career Services
Welcome to the NJCU School of Business Career Services Office
Our mission is to help CONNECT & PREPARE students and alumni for internship, employment, and professional development opportunities that will allow participants to advance in their future careers and education.
Services and Resources
Our services and resources can be broken down into the following four categories:
Cooperative Education & Internships
The Cooperative Education Program enables you to combine classroom learning with practical experience and provides an opportunity to utilize skills and knowledge acquired in the classroom.
You may choose from a wide range of co-op employment positions offered by corporations, government agencies, and nonprofit organizations in the area. You may explore more than one professional field of interest and make career contacts along the way—all while earning credits.
Benefits of Cooperative Education
- Experience in your career field
- Exposure to employers who may support your future job applications
- Opportunity to work in a variety of fields
- On-the-job experience to develop your maturity and confidence
- Paid employment to help with educational expenses
- Academic credit toward graduation
How to Qualify for the CO-OP Ed Program
- Must have 2.0 minimum cumulative average
- Complete a minimum of 45 credit hours and a minimum of 6 credits in his/her declared major
- Be accepted by a major academic department
- Obtain approval from the department chairperson in a major field of study
If you do not qualify for the CO-OP Ed Program, we still encourage you to work with our Career Services department on attaining a non-credited internship. Whether or not you receive the credits, an internship can provide you with the real world experience that employers are seeking. These opportunities can also help you to grow your professional network while potentially getting compensated as well!
Credits for Experience
As an undergraduate, you may earn up to 12 credits through either part-time or full-time work experience. The number of credits you receive is based on the number of hours you work per week.
8-14 hours a week (total of 120-224) = 2 credits
15-24 hours a week (total of 225-374) = 4 credits
25+ hours a week (total of 375-600) = 6 credits
Application of Credits
Credits earned can be applied toward your free electives or electives in your major department. You must check with your department chairperson for specific inclusion within your particular degree program.
How to Apply
Please follow up with a Career Services representative to either apply for or propose a potential Cooperative Education opportunity.
Employment (part-time & full time)
Employment opportunities through the NJCU network, that are considered within your major and/or industry can be located on the GradLeaders platform (you can log-in with your GothicNet credentials).
Part-time essential work can be a great experience, providing individuals with transferable skills that all employers and industries are seeking. These opportunities can be located through our partner site, QuadJobs. Here you can create a profile and review/apply to local paid opportunities. Make sure to update our Career Services office on any opportunities you identify/land so that we can assist you in preparing for and eventually translating this experience for your future career path.
- When visiting QuadJobs, students will be asked to enter their NJCU email address and zip code
- A confirmation email will then be sent to that email address; students will need to click on the link in that email
- After that, students will be able to log in to their account; they will need to do two things:
- First, select PROFILE from the drop down menu; complete the student profile page with as much details as possible, as well as a photo, in order to have as much success as possible when applying to jobs (remember to spell check your work!)
- Second, complete the ACCOUNT page; This is where you indicate which categories of jobs you're interested in, how how far you are willing to travel to a job, and how you would like to be notified
Career Fairs and Networking Events
Employer Partnership Programs
We are seeking student mentees to match up with mentors for the pilot SoB Alumni Mentorship Program (AMP) this spring 2021 semester. If this is of interest to you, we ask that you please complete this mentorship application form.
- Resume writing (cover letter, references, etc.)
- Interview Preparation
- Mock Interviewing
- LinkedIn & Personal Branding
- Application Process
- Employer Information / Recruitment sessions
- Resume Review
- Career Closet
- LinkedIn & Portfolio/Website assessment
- GradLeaders Profile
- Recommendation Letters/Referrals
Whether you are exploring multiple majors or searching for information about your chosen field, the What Can I Do With This Major? website will help you connect majors to careers.
Forage is an online resource which offers virtual experience programs designed by leading companies. Develop your skills and gain a real understanding of different roles and industries by working through these self-paced modules, with tasks similar to those you would undertake during a traditional internship.
What does it involve?
- You will work through a series of resources and hypothetical tasks that are designed to simulate the sort of work you would undertake as an intern or full-time employee at the organization. It's a unique opportunity for you to try out a career at your own pace and in your own time, from the comfort of your home.
- It takes five to six hours to complete one program and you can complete as many programs as you like. All experiences are completely free of charge for students and alumni from the New Jersey City University, School of Business.
- Video instructions and real life examples from employees within your chosen organization
- Work that reflects real day-to-day tasks of interns and employees
- Curated resources to help you complete the tasks
What are the benefits?
- Sample what real life work at leading companies would be like
- Try out different types of work and discover which career path is right for you
- Build confidence and gain skills to get you ready for the workplace
- Boost your resume/CV with a company-branded virtual experience program and get a personalized certificate for your LinkedIn profile
- Brand and market yourself to employers within the Forage network, potentially opening up future opportunities with prominent organizations
How can I take part?
There are no lengthy application processes as programs are free and accessible to all students and alumni. Simply pick your program, create an account on the Forage website and get started right away.
Students & Alumni
HOW TO BEST ACCESS OUR CAREER SERVICES
Are you seeking internship and employment opportunities? GradLeaders is our Career Services Management data base where you can upload your resume and apply for internship and employment opportunities.
To create a profile and review opportunities, please visit: www.njcu.edu/career-resources
Please click on this link to learn more about how you can best prepare to meet with a Career Services representative to explore potential internship, employment and professional development opportunities and resources.
Employers & Professionals
Are you interested in recruiting from the NJCU School of Business undergraduate, graduate, and alumni network? GradLeaders is our Career Services Management database where you can post internship/job opportunities and recruit from our pool of qualified undergraduate, graduate, and alumni network.
To create a profile and post opportunities, please visit: www.njcu.edu/gradleaders
Other ways EMPLOYERS can get involved:
We invite local professionals/employers to lead discussions/workshops on a variety of different topics through virtual information sessions for our students & recent alumni. These sessions typically fall under at least one of the following four categories: employer information/recruitment (specific to your organization); industry information; general professional development topics; and soft skills training. If you are interested in delivering an information session to NJCU students/alumni and/or want to learn more, please complete the form on this link.
Now more than ever, students can benefit from connecting with a mentor in their field of study. The guidance of a professional mentor can help to provide students with an objective/real-world perspective. This relationship can also help to introduce professionals to mentees as potential future interns/employees, simplifying an organization’s onboarding process. If you have interest in becoming a mentor or would like to learn more, please click on this hyperlink.
Whether your organization would like to work with one student or a group, there are a number of ways that you can partner with our University to provide students with an experiential education. Please click here if you would like to propose an opportunity and a Career Services representative will follow up with you.
Career advice for young professionals who want to make a difference in the world.
School of Business Career Services Spring 2023 Workshop Schedule
|Tuesday, 1/24/2023||Introduction to Career Services/Handshake/Linked In||1:00:00 PM||ZOOM||REGISTER|
|Monday, 1/30/2023||Introduction to Career Services/Handshake/Linked In||2:00:00 PM||ZOOM||REGISTER|
|Wednesday, 3/1/2023||Introduction to Career Services/Handshake/Linked In||1:00:00 PM-3:00 PM||ZOOM||TBA|
|Wednesday, 3/15/2023||Resume Writing/Cover Letter||1:00:00 PM-3:00 PM||ZOOM||TBA|
|Wednesday, 3/22/2023||Interview Preparation/Elevator Pitch||1:00:00 PM-3:00 PM||ZOOM||TBA|
|Wednesday, 3/29/2023||Dress for the Interview/Branding Yourself||1:00:00 PM-3:00 PM||ZOOM||TBA|
|Wednesday, 4/5/2023||Resume Writing/Cover Letter||1:00:00 PM-3:00 PM||ZOOM||TBA|
|Wednesday, 4/12/2023||Interview Preparation/Elevator Pitch||1:00:00 PM-3:00 PM||ZOOM||TBA|
|Wednesday, 4/19/2023||Dress for the Interview/Branding Yourself||1:00:00 PM-3:00 PM||ZOOM||TBA|
|Wednesday 4/26/2023||Resume Writing/Cover Letter||1:00:00 PM-3:00 PM||ZOOM||TBA|
|Wednesday, 5/3/2023||Interview Preparation/Elevator Pitch||1:00:00 PM-3:00 PM||ZOOM||TBA|
Director of Career Services
School of Business, Room 103
Office: 201-200-2194 | Cell: 201-503-4762