Residency Requirements for In-State Tuition
New Jersey City University determines state residency for tuition purposes according to New Jersey Administrative Code 9A:5-1.1-1.2. Persons residing in New Jersey for a period of 12 months before first enrolling at New Jersey City University are presumed to be domiciled in this state for tuition purposes. ** Domicile means: The place where a person has his/her true, fixed, permanent home and principal living establishment, and to which, whenever he/she is absent, he/she has the intention of returning.
Initial determination of residency is decided by the address provided by the applicant during the admissions application process.
Dependent students are presumed to be domiciled in the state in which their parents(s) or legal guardian(s) is domiciled.
Residence established solely for the purpose of attending a particular NJ College or University cannot be consider as fulfilling the definition of domicile.
Review of Residency
It is the student's responsibility to request a review of NJ residency from the Office of the Registrar (if matriculated) and from the Office of Admissions (if not yet matriculated, although the Registrar may still be involved). A change of address does not trigger this process. A direct appeal for a review of NJ residency must be made by the student in writing.
Students must submit a residency status change by completing an affidavit and all necessary documentation by the end of the 100% refund deadline as published in the college's academic calendar for the term in which the change is requested. Change of residency is only applicable to the current semester.
Applying for the exemption does not in any way alter a student's responsibility to pay on time any nonresident tuition and fees that may be due before eligibility is determined.
Request a Review of Residency
- A sworn, notarized statement from the student and/or his /her parent (s) or legal guardian declaring domicile in NJ for a period of one year
And a minimum of 2 from the list below
- A copy of his/her New Jersey resident Income tax return (please block out any identifying numbers such as SS#)
- A copy of the parent's (s') or legal guardian's (s') NJ income tax return
- Evidence of ownership or a long term lease on a permanent residence for a period of one year
- NJ driver's license; motor vehicle registration; or voter registration card
- Any proof of employment in the state for a period of one year
This documentation must be submitted to Office of the Registrar located in Hepburn Hall, Room 214. If you have any further questions, please email the Registrar's Office for assistance at REGISTRAR@NJCU.EDU.