Frequently Asked Questions

Photo of Hepburn Tower Glow

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Provide information to the most commonly asked questions. 

Fall & Spring Semester

We are open Monday and Thursday between 8:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. and on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Summer Hours:

We are open Monday through Thursday 8:00 a.m. - 5:15 p.m.

Fridays 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

Starting August 15 Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Click on the below link for instructions on how to perform a class search.

  • New students will be notified to make an appointment with an advisor.
  • Continuing Students in good academic standing who earned between 30 and 89.5 credits do not have an advisement block but are encouraged to meet with their academic advisor to review course selection.
  • Freshman and Seniors must meet with an advisor to have the advisement hold removed. Once block is removed, student is eligible to self enroll.

The list of offered courses is available online at Registrar's Website, and the Academic Catalog and Semester Information page. Finally, you can log on to to self enroll.

Students can ADD/DROP classes online on GothicNet, (click on the link for the online tutorial ), with their advisor, or by submitting an ADD/DROP form to the Registrar's Office, Hepburn 214. The deadline to ADD/DROP for the regular semesters (Fall/Spring) is the first week of classes. Please refer to the Academic Calendar for dates.

For instructions on how to place classes in Shopping Cart, log onto GothicNet, select the Student Resources tab, click on the How Do I ? folder under the Student Resources section and click on place courses in Shopping Cart link.

If the class is full and it has Wait List option, (Yellow Triangle Icon) will appear on the screen. If you would like to be placed on the Wait List (check box) "Wait List if class is full". You will be notified thru your NJCU e-mail. If you have been placed on the Wait List, you have not been officially enrolled in the class. If a seat becomes available, you will be enrolled in the class and notified via your NJCU e-mail. It is the student responsibility to check their NJCU e-mail frequently regarding the Wait List request. Click on the link for the online tutorial.

  • 6 credits - Fall and Spring Semesters
  • 3 credits - Winter and Summer Sessions

A copy of your schedule should be printed each time you register or make changes to your registration. Log onto GothicNet, click on Main Menu and select Students folder. Click on Student Center, Under Academics select the drop down arrow "other academics" select "My Class Schedule", click on the double arrows, click on show enrolled classes, click on filter and print schedule.

You should find out what office has applied the block by clicking this icon [Negative Service Indicators] . If you have any question please report to the appropriate office (i.e. Health & Wellness Center, Bursar and University Advisement Center).

If you were accepted as a full time student, you may enroll for 12 -18 credits per semester. If you were accepted as part time student, you may take a maximum of 11.5 credits per semester. NOTE: Students requesting to take more than 18 credits must have the approval of the Office of the Academic Dean in which the student has been accepted.

Students who register for or drop to fewer than 12 credits are reduced to part-time status and run the risk of losing financial aid if they have been awarded a financial aid package. Student are advised to meet with their advisor to discuss how aid may be impacted.

Student who plan to withdraw from the University must officially withdraw from his/her courses at the Registrar's Office, H-214.

Yes. Students who do not enroll in classes for more than 3 consecutive semesters need to reapply to the university and submit an official transcript, upon application, if courses were taken at another institution. Students who were academically suspended may be considered for readmission only after two complete semesters from the date of suspension.

NJCU offers three summer sessions that can be previewed in the course list which is available online in mid March. Course listings can be obtained at the  Academic Catalog and Semester Information page and

Students have the option of requesting a final grade of Pass or Fail instead of a letter grade in an elective, and/or non-major course, in a general studies course (but not an AUR or Core course), or academic minor. An elective is any course outside the major and not specifically required in the student's program. At the discretion of any department, certain courses within the major field can be designated "Pass/Fail".

Please refer to the academic calendar for dates.

The Pass/Fail option may be exercised following the Add-Drop period.

  • Deadlines: FALL - November 15
  • SPRING - April 15
  • For Summer deadlines: Please refer to the Academic Calendar

Click on the Pass/Fail for PDF form or at the Registrar's Service Window - Hepburn Hall Room 214.

Student must submit a withdrawal request form to the Registrar's Office, H-214. The course will receive a "W" grade. After Add/Drop and the first third of the semester, students are eligible to receive a 50% refund for each credit below 12 undergraduate credits. After the first third of the semester to November 15 (Fall) and April 15 (Spring) or mid semester for Summer Sessions, the course will receive a "W" grade and student is not entitled to any refund.

Please refer to the academic calendar for dates.

No, it does not count toward the GPA. It will appear on the transcript as a "W" grade.

Withdrawals may impact financial aid award.

Absences from class due to illness or personal reasons should be handled by the student and the faculty member on an individual basis. Students who expect to be absent for a prolonged period of time should contact the Dean of Student, who will notify the faculty of the students situation.

Maximum of 16 credits

Note: Effective Fall 2014, an automatic grade recomputation process will no longer require the student to file a form with the Registrar's office to enact the recomputation of the GPA.

Students wishing to recomp course(s) taken prior to Fall 2014 must submit a Recomputation form to the Registrar's Office.

Grade recomputation is only available for undergraduate courses. A course may only be recomp once.

The Academic Fresh Start facilitate the return to NJCU of students who left because of academic difficulty. The policy addresses students who want to return to NJCU after one year or more and have demonstrated the potential for success by having completed 12 credits or more with a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or better at another institution, or have received an Associate's Degree from a community college.

  1. Academic Fresh Start may be granted one time and only for courses taken at NJCU;
  2. An undergraduate student must be separated from the college for a minimum of 12 months;
  3. Current Students who were readmitted after a 12-month separation from NJCU are eligible for Academic Fresh Start policy;
  4. Application for Academic Fresh Start must be submitted to the Dean of Arts and Sciences unless there is a declared major in one of the other colleges. This application will be submitted by July 1 for the next fall semester readmits, or by November 1 for the next spring semesters readmits;
  5. Upon return to NJCU, a readmitted student will be placed on academic probation until the completion of 15 credits with no grade below C. The student can withdraw from a course only with permission of the new program advisor and the Dean.
  6. Appeals may be made to the appropriate Dean (as stated in Policy #4) and then to the Provost.
  7. Courses omitted from the recalculation will remain on the transcript and will be identified by (**) and will not be counted towards graduation requirements. Up to 30 credits may be omitted prior to recalculation, subject to departmental policies. Only courses with a grade lower than C will be eligible for omission;
  8. W records will remain on the transcript;
  9. An academic probation contract with the new program advisor is required prior to registration;
  10. Financial aid policies are independent of the Academic Fresh Start Policy.

Visit the Registrar's webpage or click on the Graduation Clearance link for Graduation and Certification Deadline Dates and instructions on how to apply for graduation clearance for Undergraduates and Graduate Students.


  • For students completing coursework in Summer, deadline is between mid May and mid June.
  • For students completing coursework in Fall, deadline is between the beginning of August and end of September.
  • For Students completing coursework in Spring, deadline is between the beginning of November and mid December.

Undergraduate and Graduate Students

  • Step 1 - Students eligible for graduation must complete the online "Intent To Graduate" form. To apply online, log on to your GothicNet account, and selection option to Apply for Graduation.
    Please Note: Seniors with an Education major/co-major or certification cannot apply online. Report to the Registrar's Office, Hepburn 214 to obtain the forms.
  • Step 2 - After application deadline date, the Registrar's office will generate an online graduation file for each graduation applicant. An audit of general studies and major requirement will be completed. The student's academic department will have available an online graduation audit for applicant. Once the department audits are completed and available to the Registrar's office, students will be sent a NJCU email regarding their graduation status.
  • Step 3 -At the end of the graduating semester, once the grades are posted, the record of students approved for graduation will be finalized. Finalization includes the posting of degrees on an academic transcript.

Diplomas will be available after the degrees are posted to transcript.

Dates are as follows:

  • May Graduates - July
  • August Graduate - October
  • January Graduates - March

Undergraduate Students

Meet with department advisor (s) 1 year prior to graduation. Attend an Undergraduate Graduation Clearance Workshop. See NCJU Registrar's Office website for list of workshops and dates (scroll down on the page to see the workshop dates).

Graduate Students

Meet with department advisor (s) 1 year prior to graduation to review degree requirements.

Click on the Graduate Clearance link for workshops and dates (scroll down on the page to see the workshop dates).

Students have three options to request transcripts:

  1. Internet: Transcript Request Online
  2. In Person: Registrar's Office, Hepburn 214, on a transcript request form
  3. Mail: Sending a signed letter to the Registrar's Office c/o Transcripts New Jersey City University, 2039 Kennedy Blvd, Jersey City, NJ 07305.
    Note: Include full name when you attended the University, and student ID (if you don't have and ID provide the last four digits of your social security number).

No, there is no fee for regular service. There is a $10 fee for 1 hour service. The same day service is provided until 4:00 p.m.

Yes, your full career is included in one request. Students may request separate Undergraduate and Graduate transcripts but no portion of the undergraduate or graduate record may be deleted.

Transcripts are processed with in four business days after the request is received by the Registrar's Office.

Alumnus can complete the Replacement Diploma application and pay the application fee of $25 as instructed below.

  • In Person – Return the Replacement Diploma form on campus to Hepburn Hall 214 and present two forms of ID with the receipt of payment from the Bursar’s Office.  
  • Mailing –  Mail in the notarized Replacement Diploma application with check or money order made to “New Jersey City University”.  Mailing address is:

                                       Registrar's Office
                                       Hepburn Hall 214
    2039 John F. Kennedy Blvd
    Jersey City, NJ  07305

Report to the Registrar's Office located in Hepburn 214.

You need to submit legal documentation to the Registrar's Office, Hepburn 214. Documentation can be a marriage license, divorce decree, birth certificate or a court order for a name change. Once proper documentation is received, request is processed within five working days.

To register as a Visiting Student for the regular semesters (Fall/Spring), you will need a letter from the college you're attending giving you permission to take the course/s at NJCU. The information is submitted to the Registrar's Office, Hepburn 214.

To register as a Visiting Student during the Summer Session, the Student presents one of the following to the Registrar's Office, H-214:

  • A permission letter from the University the student is attending, stating the course titles and authorized by proper authority, or
  • Copy of a University transcript, or
  • A Photostat of the Student's high school diploma, or successful completion of the GED test, or
  • A signed letter from the high school stating you are a senior and the expected date of graduation.

Grades are available online at GothicNet.

You will need your Id and password. A request for an official transcript to be sent to the University of your choice must be submitted to the Registrar's Office. Please visit the Registrar Transcript Requests webpage at for instructions on how to request a transcript.

Yes, the university sometimes changes rooms or cancel courses. This will give you the most current scheduling information.

Please log on to GothicNet to obtain your schedule. Log onto GothicNet, click on the Student Dashboard and under My Class Schedule you will be able to view and print your schedule.

Grades/Degree Posting

Spring Semester

  • Spring - grades will be posted on the Official Transcript by the end of May.
  • Spring - degree dated commencement date will be posted on the Official Transcript by mid June.
  • Request for transcript with Spring degree should be requested on or after mid June.

Summer Sessions

  • Summer I grades will be posted to the official transcript by the beginning of July.
  • Summer II grades will be posted to the official transcript by the mid August.
  • Request for transcript with degree should be requested by the end of August.

Fall Semester

  • Fall Grades will be posted to the official transcript by beginning of January.
  • Request for transcript with degree should be requested by mid February.

Note: Unless posted otherwise