Medical Withdrawals

Photo of holding hands

About Medical Withdrawals

The Registrar's office publishes each semester's official NJCU Academic Calendar, which lists the final day for undergraduate students to withdraw from the University with "W" grades.

However, undergraduate students who find it necessary to withdraw from the University for medical reasons after the deadline for withdrawing from classes can request a medical withdrawal. To do this, students must arrange an appointment with the Director of Counseling & Wellness Services ( or 201-200-3165). In the event that the Director of Counseling & Wellness is unavailable to process a medical withdrawal, the request should be directed to the Dean of Students ( or 201-200-3525). Note: a student requesting a Medical Withdrawal must withdraw from ALL classes for the semester.

At the time of the meeting with the Director, the student should present: 1) a letter from the student requesting a medical withdrawal from the University for the semester; and 2) a letter from an appropriate healthcare professional on their professional letterhead/stationery or prescription pad. The healthcare professional should state the health condition of the student (details are not necessary) and should specifically state that the student should not continue school for the remainder of the semester.

The meeting is used to review the student's situation and to inform them of the process for returning to school. An in-person meeting is not conducted when students are physically unable to come to campus. In such instances, the information is sent to the Counseling Center (or when appropriate, the Office of the Dean of Students).

After the meeting a formal letter is sent to the Registrar (along with the original letters the student submitted) requesting that the student be withdrawn for the semester. Copies of the letters are also maintained in the Counseling Center and the student is sent a letter confirming their withdrawal.

Please note that undergraduate medical withdrawals cannot be processed by the Director of Counseling and Wellness Services after the semester ends since at that time grades will have been submitted by professors, and it becomes an academic matter.  To find out what the last day of the semester is, please see the NJCU Academic Calendar.  After the semester ends, students must direct their requests to the appropriate Academic Affairs dean (College of Arts and Sciences, School of Business, College of Education, or College of Professional Studies).

Graduate student medical withdrawals are not processed by the Director of Counseling and Wellness Services. Graduate students should contact their respective academic/college dean to request a medical withdawal.