Frequently Asked Questions

Photo of group of students working studying in front of the Visual Arts Building

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for aid?

A student interested in applying for financial aid at New Jersey City University must submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or the Renewal FAFSA annually. You may apply online at New Jersey City University's Federal School Code number is 002613.

What is the deadline to apply for financial aid?

The NJCU priority filing deadline to be considered for full financial aid funding is March 1. To be considered for a New Jersey Tuition Aid Grant, you must apply by April 15th for renewal students and September 15th for new students.

If I miss the March 1 application date, can I still apply for financial aid?

Yes, most federal programs are available as long as you meet eligibility requirements prior to the last day of the academic year. The NJ State programs have an application deadline of April 15 for returning students and September 15 for new students for receipt of the FAFSA by the federal processor.

In order to receive financial aid do I have to apply every year?

Yes. Students must submit FAFSA application annually.

What is New Jersey City University's Federal School Code?


How much does it cost to attend NJCU?

Please view the Office of Student Accounts (Bursar) website for the current tuition rates.

If I have a credit on my bill, when can I expect to receive the money refund?

You can expect a refund due to a credit balance within 14 days from the date of disbursement to your account. Disbursement occurs approximately 2/3 weeks after the start of the term.

Do I need a separate form to apply for federal loans?

Once you file the FAFSA, you will receive a Financial Aid Award Letter including all Federal, State and Institutional Grants, Scholarships and Loans for which you qualify. All first time borrowers at NJCU will be required to complete the Entrance Counseling and complete a Master Promissory Note.

Do I need to submit tax returns?

Only send in tax documentation if the Office of Financial aid request them. This may happen if you are selected for Federal Verification.

What does it take to be considered an independent student?

A student is automatically independent if a student:

  • has reached 24 years of age
  • is a ward of the court or both parents are deceased
  • is a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces
  • has legal dependents (other than a spouse) for which the applicant provides 1/2 of their support; this must be documented
  • is married at the time of filing
  • is a graduate or professional student.

If my parents are separated or divorced, whose income is reported on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)?

The parent you live with or who has custody of you should complete the FAFSA. If your parent has remarried, the stepparent's income is also required to be reported. However, child and household support from the non-custodial parent is required on the FAFSA.

What should I do if my family's financial circumstances change after I apply for financial aid?

If your family's financial circumstances have changed due to unemployment, death of a parent/spouse, divorce/separation, loss of untaxed income/benefits see our Financial Aid Forms page for the Request for Consideration of Special Circumstances Form.

Does applying for aid affect the Admissions decision?

No, it does not. You apply for Financial Aid generally the same time as you complete your Admissions applications. The NJCU priority deadline date is March 1.

What if I received a scholarship, can I also receive financial aid?

Yes. Receipt of a scholarship does not preclude receiving financial assistance. However, all scholarships must be considered as part of your overall financial aid package.

What happens after my freshman year? Will my aid remain the same?

An individual student's need may change from year to year. Educational costs may increase or family factors may change. For instance, changes in family size, number in college, an increase/decrease in income all can affect the parental contributions from year to year. Financial aid is given for the academic year based on the FAFSA information and the aid may alter year to year.

Will my aid change if I move off-campus?

Possibly. Please contact our office to determine how your aid will be affected.

What is a Federal Student Aid Identification Number (FSAID)?

Your FSAID is an electronic access code that serves as your personal identifier. Your FSAID allows you to:

  • "Sign" your FAFSA electronically and complete the student aid process completely online no paper is involved.
  • If you're a dependent student and one of your parents have a Federal Student Aid ID, he or she can sign your FAFSA electronically online as well.
  • Correct your FAFSA online.
  • Access your Student Aid Report* (SAR).
  • "Sign" a master promissory note* for a federal student loan.
  • Access your federal student aid records online, including your student loan history information on NSLDS.*

You, and your parents if you're a dependent student, can apply for a FSAID anytime at on the FAFSA website.

If you're in FAFSA on the Web, a separate screen will appear when you select the option to apply for an FSAID.

How do I know if my financial aid cover my bill?

To determine if your financial aid covers your bill please view you bill through your Gothic Net account.

What is the difference between Stafford subsidized and Stafford unsubsidized loans?

Stafford Loans are for undergraduate, graduate and professional degree students. You must be enrolled as at least a half-time* student to be eligible for a Stafford Loan. There are two types of Stafford Loans: subsidized and unsubsidized.

Subsidized Stafford Loan

  • Available to students who demonstrate financial need.
  • For a subsidized loan, the U.S. Department of Education pays the interest:
    • While you're in school at least half-time.*
    • For the first six months after you leave school (referred to as a "grace period"
    • During a period of deferment (a postponement of loan payments). 

Unsubsidized Stafford Loan 

  • Does not require students to demonstrate financial need.
  • You're responsible for paying the interest that accrues on the loan from the time the loan is disbursed until it's paid in full.
  • You can pay the interest while you're in school or during a period of deferment or forbearance or, you can allow the interest to accrue (accumulate) and have the interest added to the principal* amount of your loan.

Depending on your financial need, you may receive both subsidized and unsubsidized loans for the same enrollment period, but the total amount of these loans may not exceed the annual loan limit.

How do I determine the total loans I have received throughout my years in college?

You may retrieve your federal loan information from or/and private loan information from Elm Resources. You will receive specific balance and repayment information from your lender(s). If you do not receive repayment information you must contact your lender to prevent loan default.


What if you are a dependent student, but your parents are divorced or separated?

You report information about the parent you lived with for the greater amount of time during the 12 months preceding the date you file your FAFSA application. If you didn't live with either parent, or if you lived with each parent an equal amount of time, then use information about the parent who provided the greater amount of financial support during the 12 months prior to the date you file your FAFSA application. If you didn't receive any parental financial support during that time, you must report information about the parent who recently provided the greater amount of parental support.