Get started on your Music Composition (M.M.) application here:
APPLY NOW FOR 2022
- A completed graduate application form, including a $55 non-refundable application fee
- A 250-500 word essay discussing your goals and objectives for pursuing admission to the degree program to which you are applying
- Official transcripts from all previous U.S. colleges attended or official NACES course-by-course evaluation of any foreign transcripts*
- Two (2) letters of recommendation
- Professional Resume or CV
- Several original compositions, which may include at least one work in each of the following categories
- A composition for a large ensemble (orchestra, symphonic band, or chorus)
- A composition for a small Ensemble (vocal with keyboard or instrumental accompaniment, a cappella choir, or a chamber ensemble)
- A composition for a solo instrument or voice (with or without accompaniment)
- At least three of the compositions must be of sufficient duration to demonstrate skill in handling a fully developed structure.
- Two copies of a CD/MP3/.wav
- All compositions that use (a) graphic or non-standard notation or (b) aleatoric elements or (c) taped/electronic sounds, must be accompanied by CD recordings.
- Must directly send to the Graduate Coordinator of Music Dance and Theatre Department
- Official documentation of English Language Proficiency (TOEFL/IELTS)
- An undergraduate degree with a major in music, or in exceptional cases, a proven equivalency in music theory, music history, and repertory.
- Proficiency in performance on a major instruments or voice.
*Note: NJCU does not evaluate international transcripts. In lieu of a transcript, applicants with a non-U.S. degree need to submit a course-by-course evaluation from a NACES Accredited Member that includes U.S. bachelor’s degree equivalency information for their coursework.
*Deadlines are subject to change. Deadline extensions may be granted on a case by case. Please contact Graduate Admissions for more information firstname.lastname@example.org
We encourage you to contact graduate admissions with questions about our graduate programs, to get answers to your graduate application questions, or to schedule a visit to NJCU.
Hepburn Hall, Room 206
REQUEST MORE INFORMATION